When it is time to move on......could I go back to uk?

I was led to believe that it was for none esential health care whatever that means, i have a cv and so far no complaints. The one thing i learnt and not the hard way was never play with the tax or VAT many years ago i had a young lady from the VAT office to help me fill in my forms as she very politely put it, a very attractive and young girl turned up and proceeded to nail me to the wall again in a very polite manner she left me with no illusions as to what i could and could not claim same with the tax always been up front even still have my accounts from years ago just in case there is one couple here in trouble both in the UK and France with the tax man and still denying any wrong doing with bills mounting year on year i suppose they think string it out until we are both gone then they can take it out of the state but why live like that in a constant war zone

What, all of us? Quite apart from the moral lying is wrong aspect, I'd be very surprised if people didn't declare their takings as the consequences might be a bit unpleasant.

I am not saying because I have two trust fund accounts in my name alongside their names for my young children. I was advised that I would be taxed on the interest and the money in those accounts would count as my assets in the UK here. Of course I am thus dodging but not for selfish purposes. Whilst we were in the UK every penny of child benefit received went into those accounts, plus bits and pieces given by family members. The money from the government is untaxable because it is in the name of legal minors there and until they are old enough to have their own accounts they are obliged to have my name on them. That I should be taxed, or they thus, is unpalatable so I do not declare.

As for the health and so on payments, we came and worked here thus entered the French system. That is where my health support comes from and the bits of benefit my children receive, not the UK. I am now receiving a basic UK pension, one shop at a supermarket and gone type of amount, but declare what I earn and do not trying hiding it in the UK or elsewhere since I have no intention of going back there and am integrated in the system here which means that if I cheat it then the consequences will be grave. People who try beating the system are walking on a shaky tightrope. No thanks. I see no good reason for anyone to play that game and then spout hypocritical guff about rainy days that might never come and so on.

They can’t put us in detention centres, unless they start calling the. Old folks homes.

Try telling that to the French, who were totally surprised that we were going to declare our gite takings!

John, the talk is that we will have the option to go back to the UK for healthcare without the need for the form S2, which is where the French authorities were negligent. It will be an option, not compulsory.

Surely Chris no one would come to France purely because they thought there were to many immigrants in the UK or is that why so many want to go back after being here 12 months they find they are also immigrants, my love for France started in 1979 so after 50 years in engineering starting three albeit small companies one which my ex wife milked to extinction then some more killing off the others I ended up employed again hence the EX wife, coming to France gave my new wife and myself the opportunity to enjoy our life style to the full, having always lived in the country being in the town gives us no pleasure we have space for our 4 Old English Sheepdogs the goats and chickens, most of the Brits we know think we are mad cutting wood, out in all weather feeding animals and growing our own veg and fruit to much like hard work, flick a switch and the heating comes on veg is easier in the frozen food dept in the supermarket surely milk comes in cartons and eggs in boxes

To answer Barbara surely you believe all Brits are transparent in their accounting, wish I had a € for everyone that I know who has property or a bank account in the uk that they haven’t declared plus I find those with independent means and a bolt hole in the uk usually are the ones telling others to get up off their backsides , I for one didn’t enter France with the expectation of relying on others but I do expect my pension to be paid without interference of the uk Gov as for old men being defeatist nothing is impossible it just takes a little longer and requires a bit more thought, I find the younger generation giving up if its not handed to them on a plate, life is what you make it, the knock backs just make you work harder, I had a flight sergeant who always told the lads got a problem think about it and work around it there is always a way

Depends what you are talking about as far as restaurants go Barbara. My son lives in Shepherds Bush and I take him and his partner out for lunch probably once a month. We never go to the same place twice, have had some fabulous meals and the most Ive paid is £132 for the three of us including food, drinks and wine. London has changed...there are lots of different types of places to eat. New place called The Stockpot...a few branches, providing breakfast through to supper...cheap as chips and fabulous tasty food http://www.zomato.com/london/the-stockpot-soho/menu#tabtop since the financial meltdown a few years ago, restaurants in London have had to look hard at what they offer and for what price or they dont make it. Considering how much we pay for a nice but not exceptional meal in and around Bergerac, I think the prices on offer at the restaurants included in the below link, are pretty amazing. http://www.timeout.com/london/food-drink/londons-best-cheap-eats like I said....where you live is down to what you appreciate and what you want in your life. I am a townie and love the buzz. I appreciate the weather and French friends in the summer...and am happy to kick back for a few months. Oh...and I became a Tee Totaler nearly 6 months ago, so much cheaper in a restaurant for me!

Carol everything in life seems to stem from early choices.

You have to have enough lollipops to live in London and not be part of the

down and out...

Going to restaurants is 100 POUNDS FOR 2 AND THEATRE TICKETS AROUND 4O pounds....then there is taxi home perhaps...perhaps there is no where to park

or you have had more than one glass of wine.

You are talking about generous salaries to enjoy all this.

The very thought of becoming an accountant or a teacher made me feel

totally depressed.

The biggest problem relating to rural life is the know it alls who see failure

every where they look and decide that nothing can work.

But they are wrong.

Shopping trips are another story.....they can still happen Carol.

You have to see the shops through the trees.

Hi carol, I totally agree with you it is personal choice, we moved to France ten years ago, a choice we made due to both having hectic stressful working lives in the uk, my husband was londoner me a country girl , we both loved the tranquillity of our home here , just outside of local villages, fantastic scenery, a pool etc etc all one could wish for so I thought , until my husband four years later said he missed the buzz of the UK and wanted to move back , we hadmade a pact that if either of us wished to return to the UK we would do so , our motto, if you loved someone enough you both have to be happy , if it meant moving back to the UK so be it, unfortunately my husband passed away before the move could be made, I am now still living my dream albeit on my own but would have been happy anywhere with him , we do have choices and sometimes the one we make does not suit everone.

tried answering this yesterday, but am having problems with my internet (thanks to the local flooding....leccy on......leccy off!). My parents are Londoners through and through, they took early retirement and decided to go off to East Sussex. My dad died 4 years ago and spent every day wishing he could go back to London. My mum loved Eastbourne and wouldnt consider relocating. Twice they rented in Sussex before settling, once a farmhouse in a very rural area. Next time in a small village with just the basics, supermarket, church, pub. They hated it, they were townies through and through and would never enjoy the laid back lifestyle and lack of facilities (my mum doesnt drive and likes everything within walking distance).

As you know we moved to France almost 5 years ago. Originally from London, Ive worked my way down the city/town size...London, Brighton, Newbury, Kingsclere - to a small town/large village in the Dordogne. At nearly 60, I found the 'peace and quiet' not something that really worked for me (or my husband who originates from Toronto). We have now put down some roots in France, but its only worked for us because we can spend late Autumn through to early Spring in the UK (where we get our fix of cinema, theatre, museums, great shopping and employment). I love going up to London, and whilst I wouldnt choose to live there full time, if push came to shove, I would probably choose the city over countryside option no matter how old I was.

So, surely it depends what you value in life, the mad whirl of city life with the attendant high's and low's...or the rural life with the limitations that go with that. Im not sure that its just down to whether or not you are rich or famous, just down to personal preference.

BUT we have to be self sufficient here....TOTALLY

And totally transparent with our banking/accounting.

You can not enter France with expectations of reliance upon others.

You enter with the idea that you will make things work.

So, therefor the system is benefit to the country as a whole.

if everyone plays the game.

The new Roma no ones wants? Wow John, that would be a new experience for Brits and rather make a mess for all those that came to France because of there being too many immigrants in the UK.

Chis

Same as the uk then Jane, its seems that us ex pats are easy target for everyone the uk are still trying to remove our winter fuel allowance and there is talk of having to go back to the uk for our health care what next our pension remains at a fixed level the same as none EU expats meaning our income will decrease they refuse to give us representation in Parliament to fight our cause ,British ex pats will become the new Roma no one wants us

One of the most distracting things about living here in France is the abundance

of negative attitude which lives within the minds of Older

people....usually men who

seem to think that life should stand still and adventure and opportunity is something

to giggle about in a dark corner.

Is this not survive France and joining together to share ideas and ways forward.....??
Boo to the grumpy old man.

“A little bit too much faffing in public offices” is that what you call having to take the French health authorities to the European Commission on behalf of all British ex-pats because of being denied health rights?

They agreed that they were wrong. They have still not implemented the Protocol which they are supposed to do.

However, we have lovely French friends and they are treated badly by the fonctionnaires as well.<

/>

Basically, there is not the mindset of public service, they are there to get paid as their main function.

Yes it is fine.

As fine as you care to make it.

Whatever we do in life......wherever we live we need to work at it.

You may as well do it in France.....

So to recap, there's some fuss over a bit of customer service, a little bit too much faffing in public offices, health service seems to be good, and the shredded wheat issue, I'm moving over next Sunday to a little farm house, there was a post early on that mentioned warm weather, wine and food, there you go, everything's fine!!

Answer this one please survivors.....

What prospects does an OLD person have in London unless the are wealthy

and famous?

So why not register work ? the chances of you getting a job are almost non-existent anyway, times are tough over here for the unemployed as I well know after being made redundant twice, the last time at the age of 56

It will cost you 23€ to get your blood pressure etc checked with the doctor, hardly excessive

Similarly, an colonoscopy every five years wouldn't cost the earth when spread over those five years - a small price to pay for your peace of mind etc surely ?

I bought one of those blood pressure diy machines a few years ago and use it regularly just to check ok, it's not 100% accurate but it does give a pretty good indication of the BP

Yes, many french are rude and probably incompetant just like anywhere but maybe it 's also up to us, the consumer to show them some respect maybe ? I'm often embarassed when stood in a queue wherever only to hear a client either british or french behaving in a rude or agressive manner. My companion works in a local jobcentre (anpe) and some of the tales she tells me of rudeness etc are quite unbelieveable, most brits expect the earth without being able to understand either the french language or system. Some french are so rude she often feels threatened with physical abuse ! A very close friend is an Assistante Sociale in a nearby town which happens to be in an area of very high brit density. One in three of her clients are british, she finds it very frustrating that many of these people not only can't be bothered to speak the language but also demand benefits at the drop of a hat. She has had to take time off work due to the stress of trying to help but often wonders why she bothers to help these people..