When it is time to move on......could I go back to uk?

Couldnt agree more Juliet i sometimes get the impression that people look back at the UK through rose tinted glasses with all this talk of wonderful after sales service the UK enjoys i have had good and bad in both countries, regards health service yes its a pay as you go system here, in the Uk its a wait and see if you get treated but at least you dont wait 3 months for the results of a biopsy here, i sat in a cafe last summer with a chap who by his own admission is very wealthy the waitress was rushed of her feet but had acknowledged us, after a couple of minuets this guy was loosing patience so stuck his hand up and shouted ,over here love, she ignored him not satisfied with that he started to whistle while i sharnk to the smallest size possible with my head in my hands being a regular customer i eventually caught her eye lifted my eyebrows and she came over with this other guy ranting about poor customer service in France, i suppose in the UK a flash of his cheque book was all that was required for waitresses to drop at his feet, when i went back the following week i had to appologise not to worry she said we get them in here usually from Paris with the the same attitude

The total lack of after sales support/service etc you mention is very much a localised problem. Parisians are not much liked in the S W of France because they demand and expect good service and politeness and do not hesitate to complain if they dont get it which doesn't go down well. If we could only instil a little "customer is king" philosophy into our french compatriots we might get results, but then the S W is known for being chilled and a bit behind the times, and that is why we come here. We cant have it both ways. And as for regular health checks, I am constantly bombarded with suggestions to get this or that checked, but then I have a carte vitale. When I was in the UK I had to wait 2 weeks to get a doctors appointment if my problem could not be described as urgent; well it wasn't when I first requested a appointment but they seemed to want me to wait until it was before they (reluctantly) agreed to see me. I am on a limited income but I am happy to pay the doctors fee, and have his undivided attention for however long I need it, on the very odd occasion I have cause to visit him. I came to France for the very reasons you stated, I could have a smallholding with my animals around me, which would have been a prohibitive cost in the UK. Had I been able to afford it, I probably would never have considered living anywhere other than in England but now I look at the state of that country, I am glad I left when I did. My daughter is considering moving here because she is starting a family and she thinks France has a better attitude towards politeness and respect for others, in school as well as in the home, and that is my erstwhile rebellious offspring speaking!!

I too have been here seven years, whilst still retaining a house in the UK which my daughter lives in. But I would never consider going back. I am single and came here knowing no-one, but I am never lonely. I love every minute of being here, I speak a little french and everyone is very polite to me in spite of my very english accent. The health service here has looked after me impeccably as I needed a hip replacement, physio aftercare automatic. My french neighbours are charming and chatty when we meet, they help me whenever I ask, and make a point of saying hello at the local "repas". I feel lucky that I have found my little piece of paradise, and home is where the heart is, and for me that is here in France.

I would not go back to that place

I am only 44 and would have to find work that would let me have 2 hours for lunch and pay for restaurant.

and pay for the apro at lunch time drink and work they could not be having that back in the uk could they.

back in the uk most of the people i know work on the weekend and still get payed the flat rate that cant be right can it ?

All most forgot the 35 hour week and if you work more its +2.5 % over here, for the same wage of 40 hour = more time with the kids and wife :)

Health well with living over here for 17 years now with my 3 kids we can say its the best i come a cross.

As for older people thinking of going back, yes my mum and dad moved over here as well my dad has dimensia so my mum has to look after the old bugger but its not to bad 2 lady's come at 8am to get him out of bed and clean him up and dress him 9.30 the Infirmière comes and gives him his meds, at this time mum gets up and has a cupper, 12am lunch time and the Infirmière is back to give more meds, 6pm the lovely lady's are back to get dad ready for bed and the Infirmière at the same time for the last of his meds. cost to them 0.00 yep nothing, why i will tell you the money they get for all the years they worked, puts them so low for income they get it all free even with the top up that france gives them even when they have never worked here.

Mum home help for cleaning the house 20 hours a month, cost free

they will be fine i think don't you.

Why would any one go back i could go on for hours talking about why i would not go back.

Just one last thing i don't know one expat in the 17 years we have been here if you are going to stay in france live like the french talk like the french and you well end up loving it here like me.

good luck and all the best

andrew and diane

So pleased to hear that Jane.
The French love food and love those who respect it.

Sadly I struggle here to find a very decent restaurant except

the ones which are closed.

I do wish that the people of this region were able to

to be a little more enterprising.....just a little.

Then France could rise on her feet.

But we are surviving France but not sure if that could be so in UK.

We have been met with the friendliest people we have ever encountered.

We are included in English/English gatherings, French/French gatherings and English/French gatherings.

We have never felt so welcome.

Here here!

Try Richard Morford at Allez-Francaise - think he has a page on SF. He takes brilliant photos and brought more people to our house in 3 mths than we'd seen for 3 years and he sold it 6mths after taking it on. Sorry to hear you are so depressed and worried - I can understand it. But I don't know how old you are but I am at the age now where I tend to think I haven't enough time left to do what other people want me to do, or to put myself in situations where I don't want to be so perhaps you should start thinking about yourself. Anyway, best wishes for whatever happens to you.....

They would have to carry me out kicking and screaming

I Started this and you have all taken it around the houses, through the streets and to the other end of the world.

But apart from the diversions in all directions.....

Who is desperate to go back to the land of financial recovery and to keep up with Mr and Mrs Smith?

Yes the rich are getting richer there and the poor will remain poor unless they suddenly strike gold or become

another Justin Beeber or David Beckham.

Your house or apartment will rise in value and your blood pressure rise too as you wait for

an appointment with a surgeon or doctor.

Consolation prize....By 4 get one free at Asda and a visit to

Marble Arch London .....memory Lane and Oxford street.

Thought about all those lovely restaurants and good friends I have left

behind.....but not sure if I could do it.

Shirley, I dont know your story but you sound as though you are getting back on your feet, when we moved here my OH spoke limited French me practically zero, He decided he wanted to return to the UK , missed the buz of London , good theatre's etc etc, me I loved it here, the peace and tranquility following a hectic working life in the UK this was my heaven, two years ago this week my OH passed away suddenly, I returned to arrange a memorial service for him , stayed six weeks in total, I returned to the house and decided to see how the year went, two years on , I have learn many things and done more things than I ever dreamt I was capable of doing, I cannot see myself living back in the UK , my life and friends are here in France, most of my friends in the UK have passed on or moved on , who knows what the future holds but my dream has been fulfilled here it is like a paradise even if it has rained and rained for weeks. I go to French lessons twice a week , I still make mistakes when asking for things but this is life .

I had sent both export sections of the log books car and bike back to DVLA two months after we arrived in France, the car had been removed from their data base but not the bike for some reason, 30 months later my daughter received a demand from a collection agency they got her address as my mobile phone bill was sent to hers, they got very aggressive when my daughter contacted them explaining the bike was in France when i contacted them they threatened to come and clamp the bike i suggested the clamping of a French registered vehicle in France by a uk company may be illegal they then intimated they would enter my daughters house and remove good to the value, contacting DVLA was like talking to the wall eventually i completed a complaints form and got things sorted but they insisted that on this occassion i was getting the benefit of the doubt why do they never admit to making a mistake

You are quite right, Brian, gov.uk says this (aimed at UK residents) :-

If you spend longer than six months of the year in France with your UK-registered car, French law states that you must register your vehicle with the French authorities. For information on how to do this, please contact your local prefecture.

Further information can be found on the official French administration website.

UK-registered vehicles being driven in France must comply with all UK requirements for road tax, MOT, and third party insurance covering the full time period the vehicle is used in France, up to the six-month limit.

The Motor Insurers Bureau also says
"A vehicle with UK plates must have insurance according to UK Law, which means it must be insured with an authorised insurer who is a member of the MIB."
The important thing is that a UK car cannot be owned by a French resident who therefore cannot legally use that car after a month here.

Regarding the CT or Contrôle Technique, centres are allowed to charge what they like tho' the going rate is about 65€, prices can and do vary with deals etc. It's useful to shop around if you are looking to save a few euros. Vehicles classed as Véhicules Utilitaires or commercial vehicles like vans etc are subject to a supplementary visit every other year to test the CO² emissions. This usually costs about 25€. Any Contre Visite if the vehicle fails the CT is about 10€ tho' my local centre usually does it for free.

H Kirsten. I'm not sure what you're referring to by "heard it costs about €1000 or so to get one". If you mean the Controle Technique, it costs about €65. If you mean driving licence, you may be able to exchange your existing licence for a French one. If you cannot drive (or cannot exchange your existing licence), then I'm not sure but I think you must take several hours instruction with a registered instructor, pass the written tests and so on. Others may know better about costs, etc.

I don't live in Fr, (yet), I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row as it were. I heard it costs about 1000€ or so to get one. Or is it more than that by now? Does one have to go to a certified school, or instructor? Is that what most of the money is for, (I'm assuming there are fees to the state as well), or can just anyone teach me the way of the land and when I've filled out the proper docs I can take some test? As you can see, I really have no clue. I want to prepare myself before the time comes.

This topic is carrying on so long its becoming like watching paint dry, nice to see a new topic with peoples views.

John,

The easiest way to prove that to the DVLA would be to send a copy of your carte grise as it will have the date of issue on it along with the vehicle's vin number.

That is, if you have registered the car & bike here, but many don't.

Certainly the collection agencies are often not too bright....Ive twice had to inform that Ive had a vehicle off road for a period of time and not had a problem and then informed that I had exported my car and all was well. Guess occasionally there will be a something that goes wrong...would be unusual if there wasnt!

My bike had been in France for 3 years both the car and bike had been exported but my daughter recieved a summons from a collecting agency for £80 for none payment of road tax 3 years road tax is far more than £80 the bike had never been registered at my daughters address everything was wrong but i still had to prove the bike had been exported the silly buggers expected me to fill in a form with the present date giving them a chance to say it was in the uk on the dates they stated silly i may be stupid i'm not