When will the UK wake up and stop giving passports

I am a little reluctant to reply to this thread, but residency in the UK definitely requires 5 years. Not more.

Sorry, but I’m a tad confused by your post as you’re not being very precise in your use of terms like 'legal residency’because this depends on your current residential status. In the first instance, you’re either an illagal immigrant, or you’re not; however being in the first category isn’t necessarily an obstacle to becoming a resident of France - surely the truth is that many 'illegal 'immigrants to France spurn this possibility for reasons of language, or having relatives already in the UK, or they believe it wil be easier to get a black market job there, or more and more often, it seems they’re just working on simple misintformationi.

Secondly, Brits who were resident in France before 31/12/2020 could apply for the UE Carte de Sejour’s replacement, and become non UE residentq with a titre de sejour; this was regardless of how long they’d previously lived in France. As far as I understand, after five years residency in France (as is still the case in the in the UK?) one can apply for citizenship, which is a diffenrent category to residency.

Lastly, like many others on SF, I’m a now non UE resident of France, as opposed to being a French citizen, but even though I have to continue paying taxes here, I’m unable to vote.

My South African wife got her UK citizenship and passport after five years residency; as far as I know that remains the case, providing you can pass the language an,d citizenship tests(!) and meet the minimum income requirements. I’m not defending these criteria, merely pointing out that they differ from those in your post.

1 Like

I don’t believe that there is a test required for residency other than meeting the criteria of having been present for sufficient time, paying taxes and having adequate income. Citizenship does require passing tests in the manner you describe, Mark, and from what you’ve said elsewhere your wife is a British citizen, rather than just having residency status.

Yes, my wife is a now a British citizen, it’s just she no longer wants to be one!

Meanwhile I’m continually amazed by how many Brits I encounter, who’ve been living in France for years and yet still don’t understand the basis for terms like ‘tax residency’ and ‘nationality’. And there’s quite a few of those who’ve been tax resident in France for years, but have never filed a French tax return. If they’ve now got the new titres de sejour (non-CE) then there might be a reckoning next summer

2 Likes

Legal residency means first titre de sĂ©jour. Many illegal people in France can apply for it, not everyone gets it though, depends on criteria which is 3 years you need to show 24 fiche de paie. And on 5 years you need to show 8 fiche de paie. However more the better. Plus your Intregation in the french society. Language etc etc. This isn’t the case in UK. In UK you have to live 20 years illegal to qualify for legal residency. 10 years in France with contract de travail you can get legal residency. It makes more sense to give people legal residency. Then people not paying taxes and working in black jobs.

I doubt he’s been to Courpignac either Jane.

He describes it as a “big town” when in fact it’s a tiny place on the D730.

1 Like

Seems your description of Bazza could also fit the present incumbent of No.10.

1 Like

My sister in law sat yet another test a few months ago after travelling to London to do so.
She is Korean, has been in a relationship with my BIL since 2006, they’re married, have a baby and a house, yet she’s still not got permanent British status and isn’t even allowed to have a job until she’s been a full time resident for 5 years.
I’m not sure whether other immigrants are treated so badly by uk? If they are, how on earth do they meet the income requirements?

This way for the Daily Hate bazza (I’m sure there’ll be a place for you on the letters page):