Where do you live in France?

Yes, but I don't think the Normandians accept too many 'outsiders' which includes other French as well! Don't feel bad...the people who accept you are the ones most important anyway!

stop in next time you are around - I am in Azille at La Dolce Vita! Natalie

Hi Susan,

I live in Les Barthes which is near Moissac and Castelsarrasin and about 60 km north of Toulouse. I am English but there are some Americans in my village who run a group for English and French people and they are really nice, simple and down to earth.

Linda, what you have just mentioned about banter is one of the reasons that I have happily joined a group of women here in our area who all have lunch together every few weeks -- "so we can have a good old natter" as our British hostess said on Tuesday. There are phrases we Americans/Aussies/Brits all use in common sentences that would never be understood by the French. We were laughing about some of the misunderstandings that a phrase like "keep your eye peeled for (insert object)..." or any one of a number of other sayings that are a verbal shortcut for all of us. I have times when I have had a conversation in French that left my brain tired afterward from the mental effort of trolling through my brain for the right or right-enough words.

I have yet to meet ANY other Americans or Australians in our neck of the woods, but we have some rather nice British friends and that has kept me from feeling quite so stressed about living in a country where my language skills are at a rudimentary-but-improving level.

Hi I come from the north east of England, Married to a Frenchman, I live in a tiny village called lacrabe dans les landes I hardly ever see any English around here in fact there are probably more cows than people where I live but whenever I hear English speaking people in the nearest supermarche I have a little chat.Do sometimes feel I have lost my sense of humour, although I can speak French pretty well just can't have the same banter with the French ;(

Me, Canadian, living in Arcachon, neither Christina! Beautiful area; people another story. Haven't seen or met any other English speakers in this area. I very much miss the easy going way of having a conversation with English speaking people. As much as I try, I have a hard time with French conversation practices, and its not because I don't speak the language.

I'm an American living in a small village in the Gers. When we arrived 25 years ago as a young family, there were very few foreigners. Now there are quite a few English along with other nationalities, many well-integrated. We have set up a local branch of Cancer Support France, offering support to English-speaking cancer patients and their families.

Near Rouen, so far very alone :(

Lucky... have not had that kind of reception in Normandy :(

Hi Natalie,

We have a house in Pepieux, which we have owned for a couple of years, Phil

HI Holly,

I'm a New Mexican married to a Frenchman. I too have that "over thirty not cool enough to hangout with thing". We've been back in France for three years now, and we live in a village in what is often called "The door to the Cevennes". We aren't far from Montpellier and it's only a little farther away to Nimes. I live in a beautiful place, but I miss home and family especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas and don't get me started about New Mexican food. Montpellier has a lot of American expats and students around, but I don't interact much. It's just far enough away for me to make excuses not to go. I have one American friend in a nearby village but it's mainly Brits around here and most don't live here full-time. I love it here but get homesick.

Hi Deborah,

Wow, you've lived in some places with real history, haven't you? Yes, GOOD Mexican food is hard to come by! ;-)

Hi Martha,

You said that France is not your favorite. Which country do you prefer?

Hello, Holly,

I am a native Northern Californian. I live alone in Dordogne, not far from Hautefort. I left America over 30 years ago and have lived in other countries. France is not my favourite, but here I am and happy enough. As for missing things -- normally not, but Thanksgiving is a killer.

Martha

Hi Holly.

I was born in Birmingham, Alabama but we moved to Louisville, Kentucky when I was a year old. That's where I lived as I grew up and one of my children was born in Louisville, the other one in Lexington. They are both well and truly adults now and I have wee grandchildren back there. I've lived in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, several places in Florida including Tampa, St. Petersburg, Delray Beach, & Jacksonville Beach. In Arizona I've lived in Flagstaff and Scottsdale. In Washington State I lived in Tacoma. And then there was Chattanooga, Tennessee for a couple of years.

Part of the constant moving was husband related (one was an engineer with Siemens that got transferred/promoted frequently and one was in the military) and my own work as a freelance journalist.

I met my current (and last!) husband almost 20 years ago when I was doing graduate degree research in London and Cambridge. We married in Kings Lynn and lived in the UK for several years on and off as well as 'back home' for him in Australia. All up, we lived for 12 years in Australia before feeling bored by that and going travelling/working around Europe for 18 months before stopping.

We live an hour south of Toulouse in St. Girons in the Ariege part of the Midi-Pyrenees. Since I have been living away from the USA for more than 20 years and have immersed myself in the customs of several other countries, there are very few things other than my family that I miss. However, as several other people have mentioned, I do get a twinge around the holiday seasons and miss a traditional Thanksgiving or something as silly as really GOOD Mexican food!

That's cool. I've been up to Strausburg. Some of my husband's family lives there and in and around Nancy. If we were ever to move, it would be there.

Holly, I too miss the three things you mention. (Chinese food, chili peppers....)

Hi Holly, I'm from San Francisco, lived in Germany for awhile, met a French guy there, and he got an offer to work in Basel, Switzerland so here we are happily ever after in the Alsace region :-)

We're right at the border of Germany and Switzerland and it's really one big, happy multi-culti family. Tons of expats from all over in Basel and everyone regularly shopping and dining in each other's country. Totally normal for me to speak English, French, and German in one breath!

Georgiana,

I agree. Sometimes, when I'm at home, I DO forget where I am, especially since I no longer hear my husband's accent if that makes any sense. The biggest change for me was getting used to stuff. I miss some of the foods and getting things done quickly and the friendliness of people on the streets...

Hi, We bought in Burgundy near Autun. We heard there were some other Americans in our village but have yet to meet them. The English have been cordial and sometimes outstandingly so. Life is good!