Where do you live in France?

Holly,

My wife Cynthia and I live in Bordeaux and have been here about 2 months. I retired early and after 7 years in St. Petersburg, FL, we decided we wanted to live here. Cynthia's father worked for an oil company and so she has lived all over the U.S. and also Australia and the UK. I grew up near Pittsburgh. Being here such a short time, we haven't met any other English speakers but are friends with a French couple here in Bordeaux.

Jo Anne,

I used to live in Ormond Beach. People used to laugh because of my maiden name which made me 'Holly Hill', the name of a city near Daytona. I also went to FSU for a year until I found out that the party school atmosphere was not conducive to getting good grades!

I could always tell that there were cultural differences between the states and here, but never realized just how much until I went home over the summer. Wow! I'm not saying that our government is top notch and our people are the best of the bunch, but I am proud to be an American. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you too!

I live in the Gers, a rural southern department (though we are at its northern border). My husband and I lived in San Francisco for many years (we are both California natives). We retired here, slightly early for retirement age. We occupy a stone farmhouse outside a tiny village, though towns (e.g., Condom and Lectoure) and small cities (Agen) are not far. It's lovely here and we are pretty happy.

We know quite a few British expats and about four Americans locally. Plus more in Toulouse through "Democrats Abroad." I never felt particularly part of the mainstream in the US, but being in France sometimes makes me realize how American I am!

Then again, life is perhaps not so different. The biggest change for me might have been moving from city to country. When we are at home we have an existence that could be anywhere, with of course the internet, and podcasts and satellite TV, guitars, laundry, books, coffee, and all the detritus of daily life, and the conversation between us, and what's inside our heads. And then -- someone is at the door and he's a Gascon!

We moved from Jacksonville, FL. but originally from Scotland and met while living in Canada. I have spent the majority of my life in America but have always considered myself Scottish. that is, until we moved here a year and a half ago and now I realize - I am an American! We lived in many states due to the corp. we were with but chose Florida in the 1990's. I became a citizen after living in US for 25 years but my husband decided not to.

I have met one American/Scot who said she would get in touch but never did. The English have been friendly but they are not Scottish and they are not American. There are cultural differences.

I appreciate meeting my fellow country persons on SFN! Happy Belated Thanksgiving. This is the worst time of year for missing family and friends.

In Washington DC there's a large French community. There are French markets , French cinemas the embassy and a French international school which is where I met my husband. The French living in the States were always complaining about the food and Americans. It must be some sort of reflex that people living away from their homes have. I like living here and wouldn't think of going back home but it is hard at times. Books were a problem for me also. I don't like to read French translations of books originally written in English. I've fallen in love with my e-book!

Born & raised in NYC, nearly 30 years in San Francisco, & have lived in Pézenas (Hérault, Languedoc) full-time for a year. There is a fairly large ex-pat community in & around Pézenas, nearly all Brits. We recently met another American (he has a French spouse) & he said that he knows another American couple nearby, but so far, we're the rarity here. Some of the ex-pats are full-time residents, while others come for holidays, etc. There are all sorts of Anglophone/ex-pat events, though I rarely attend, other than the monthly book exchange/sale, as I am a voracious reader & always need to replenish my stash of reading material.

I haven't run into the arrogant or rude ex-pats yet, but have found quite a few who do nothing but complain about everything having to do with their lives here. I wonder why they came in the first place, & why they don't go back home. Of the Bris livinng here, the vast majority retired here, though there are some I've met who are younger & have children in school here.

I didn't mean it personally Holly. It's good to hear that there are some normal Americans out there. As I said I just haven't met any yet. I've been a stay at home Mom ever since coming here twenty years ago. I worked as a florist in my formal life and would have liked to continue here. It just didn't work out that way.

For some reason, I believe that I've heard that there are a lot of Americans or English speakers in or near Toulouse. I've had some issues myself. I met a couple of Americans online who at the time lived near me. Turns out they were in their early 20s and since I'm in my late 30s, they figured that I was too old to hang out with (was it the gray hair?) I know six Americans with whom I work, and we're all doing exactly THAT: working! So not the nouveau riche and obnoxious that you have dealt with. I'll just add for measure (but oh, will I sound arrogant?) that I think we're simple, down to earth folks, just too far away from you!

Seattle!

I'am about half an hour from Carcassonne - towards the sea, temps a bit warmer and temperate...I do love this area, as we have the sea, the mountains and the vineyards all within a short distance - oh and Spain! and I have been well accepted by the locals, so feel very at home!

I'm from Washington DC. which is a great place to live. It's funny but besides my family what I miss most is the vegetation and Maryland soft shell crabs.

Ok, I'm going to go a step further and ask where you all came from in the US. I'm from New York. Whenever I say that, people get all excited, thinking that I mean the city when really, I'm from upstate NY. The name is Corning, where they make Steuben glass and Corningware. Residents joke that if you blink, you'll drive right by without realizing it.

I originally came to France for adventure and ended up falling in love with the place, and then a man who lived here. I'm still with that man and I still love the place, so I guess it all worked out for the best. I do miss home sometimes though, especially around the holidays.

I'm an American living in Toulouse. There was club here (Americans in Toulouse) that I tried out for a while before deciding that I prefered going it alone. Now I don't know anyone here who even speaks English and that's hard. When I run across other Americans here they are either students or what I would call nouveau riche and obnoxious. There must be some other simple down to earth Americans out there but I haven't found them yet.

I went to Carcassonne at the end of October. It was so cold! Beautiful though. Do you enjoy it?

Haha Mary. I promise you, we're out there! I do have to say though that I really don't know France at all! I've never heard of some of these places!

In the 6th in Paris. Many Anglophone tourists (as well as Russian, Chinese and Italian amongst others) but do not run into many redidents of the quarter.

Hi - we live in a mini-hamlet in between Poiters and Angouleme in Poitou Charente. No Americans near by but some British full time plus holiday home owners and we almost speak the same language!

We live in the Cevennes in a small village in the mountains. Some English live in the area, either full time or part time.

American, living in Azille, small village between Narbonne & Carcassonne...in the middle of the vineyards - Natalie