Where to buy fuel oil?

This.

Sealed fuel oil should last forever.

1 Like

Probably a good idea to do this initial test out-of-doors, away from house, cars, sheds, cats, dogs etc.

1 Like

er…10+ years Rocam? could even be 2-3 more. Defo unopened full 20L containers though.

I’d be delighted if you’d reconfirm to set my mind at rest. Without transport for a while yet not having to fetch new fioul would be helpful. But I’m terrified of gumming up the straight-out-of-the-box fioul burner if old fioul would do that.

Yeah that’s the plan. Am thinking while it’s still warm so September. Not going to fiddle about with a fuel type and heater type I can hardly recall in cold weather if I’ve not got it working outside in warm conditions first.

Staying upwind of it too if poss. If it fires up ok I’ll leave it running a bit for any factory deposits to burn off, shut it down, leave it to cool for a while then check it restarts. Thinking my longstemmed barbecue lighter might be good as I suspect it hasn’t got piezo/electronic ignition.

Btw how inflammable is fioul? Is it basically kerosene so there’s a danger of boom?

Karen,
What type of fioul are you refering to, it’s a gereneric in French.

I guessing its “petrole” (paraffin)
@KarenLot it is obviously inflammable, but under normal conditions not explosively so

1 Like

If paraffin no problem then, if the heater has been used before remember to trim the wick.

First, it is important to understand that heating oil or petroleum is a refined product that is made from crude oil. It contains a mixture of hydrocarbons, including alkanes, cycloalkanes, and aromatics. When properly stored, petroleum oil can last for many years without undergoing significant changes. However, if the heating oil is not stored correctly or is exposed to air, light, or heat, it can start to degrade over time.

One of the primary signs that heating oil has gone bad is a change in its appearance. Fresh petroleum oil is typically a transparent liquid, while older or degraded heating oil may appear cloudy or have a dark, brownish color. If you notice a significant change in the appearance of your heating oil, it may be a sign that it has gone bad and should be replaced.

Another sign that heating oil has gone bad is a change in its odor. Fresh petroleum oil has a characteristic gasoline-like odor, while older or degraded petroleum oil may have a musty, rancid smell. If you notice a significant change in the odor of your heating oil, it may be a sign that it has gone bad and should be replaced.

Thanks all. I’ve been told it’s fioul for these kerosene-type heaters, it’s unopened (though either bought en vrac or labels have dropped off), safely stored in dark barn ground floor with some other stuff. So based on what you guys have said should be ok

I’ll sniff it and look at it when I open it - Ta for tips Rocam on what smell and look should be. Hopefully after a successful test with not much of it I can put it back into the barn till December or January.

If you hear a bang from Northern Lot in September look the other way otherwise I’ll report back.

Thanks much all.

2 Likes