Which is the best test for finding Breast Cancer

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at about the same age. Similarly it was a small non painful lump. Anyway she went and had it checked out, and because of her age and the fact it was slow growing they agreed that she could just take tamoxifen. Which she did, and lived to 95 dying of something else entirely. Perhaps this real example might help your wife consider having it checked out, as it may not need surgery/chemo and all the rest.

One other suggestion would be for you to discuss with her GP, and see if he/she could persuade her to take the first step?

1 Like

Helen… I think you will find that many of us on this Forum have suffered ourselves or had love ones suffer…

Cancer touches nearly every family…thus some of us have a very good idea of how a person who is thinking “cancer” will be feeling…

1 Like

Have you made any progress with your wife? I’m fretting about it now too - which is not to make you feel guilty but to say that I recognise how much it must be worrying you if a complete stranger is concerned about it.

1 Like

At the moment she has occasional twinges, the best I have achieved is that she said if the pain is bad she will have to go, but she will not have anyone poking around with it as it hurts for days afterwards. She has said she will not have kimo either.
Her way or nothing.
Thank you for your concern.

Do you have kids? And if so have you discussed with them? As maybe they could influence things a bit. Getting investigated doesn’t mean you say yes to chemo, it’s just an investigation. You may all be worrying needlessly about a simple cyst, or risking throwing your life away for something that could be fixed without chemo. Hard, but persevere.

If poking around with the lump causes pain for a few days then your wife may have a cyst as they can be very uncomfortable. It seems such a shame that you could both be worrying unnecessarily for the sake of a simple appointment. I started getting lumps when my daughter was 2, she’s 26 now and every so often I have yet another appointment for what have all been cysts luckily.
I was told that I must go to the doctors with any lumps regardless and so I do
I hate mammograms, needle aspirations and being poked about but it is for my own good and so I go. Good luck i hope you can persuade her.

1 Like