Which plate isn't upside down?

Me too Ann.

1 Like

Welcome to the club ! :hugs:

1 Like

The green one is definitely upside down.

1 Like

First thing this morningā€¦ I gave a quick glance at the pictureā€¦ andā€¦ before really understanding what was being askedā€¦ in my mind, the large, circular plateā€¦ just left of centreā€¦ seemed slightly different to the rest.

However, each time that I consciously look at the pictureā€¦sinceā€¦ they all look the same way ā€¦

1 Like

My own mind can be coaxed into isolating one as inverted while retaining the perception of the others being right-side-up. Maybe itā€™s many years of meditation practice which helps to reconcile perceptual and other brain-mediated sensory anomalies.

Many find that relaxing completely with unfocussed attention on the images will bring their non-duality to the brink of consciousness, and sometimes stretching the mindā€™s problems-solving capability to its limits will have the same effect.

This is the basis of the koan of Zen Buddhism (what is the sound of one hand clapping?), and the image of the laughing Buddha: the way to enlightenment is by embracing nonsense: ā€œif you meet the Buddha in the street, kill him!ā€

And, of course, of my own strange commentaries intended to puzzle, amuse, infuriate, or all three!

I think James may have had a similar underlying motive for this topic, which has some relevance to the current Brexit conundrum, I think.

Ancienne sagesse, problematique nouvelle ?

1 Like

They all look the same way to me too. Itā€™s just that the way changes.

1 Like

Itā€™s not the way that changes, David, itā€™s your mind that canā€™t make itself upā€¦ :grinning:

1 Like

I actually know rather a lot about that Peter as part of my degree course was Biology, Brain and Behaviour and optical illusions were part of that.

VoilĆ ! Knew it all along, you must be one of TMā€™s advisors ! :scream::rofl:

I wish she did have a rabbit up here sleve, IMO the woman does not have the imagination to look at anything except in one, blinkered way even when it doesnā€™t stand a chance of succeeding.

A great mind, David, surely capable of flipping an ice-cube tray on its back simply giving it a powerfully commanding look! :eyes::back:

Only teasing, you understand :grinning:, itā€™s all a cosmic joke, Iā€™m sure can both agree on that!

I also used to work on theatre sets where one of my friends was an artistic genius who could turn a flat canvas into a beautiful 3D scene by applying small amounts of light and shade. Thatā€™s how this works, your brain uses the light and shadow to see what you expect to see, look in a slightly different way and the image flips. Brilliant. I actually feel sorry for the people who are unable to be fooled by it, as I said before, itā€™s brilliant.

Methinks itā€™s time to throw this into play ā€¦ :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUY2kJE0AZE

3 Likes

Rabbit.

Cā€™est exactement ce quā€™il nous faut ! :+1::hugs:

You would see (or think you would see) a lot more than upside down platesā€¦man :sunglasses::sunglasses: