Which type of swimming pool

Looking to the future here, have you any experience of Cash piscines "bloc " kits?

Who is that directed at Mark?

Sorry @Corona I thought I’d replied to you. Must have hit the wrong reply button :roll_eyes:

If anyone is in the 64, 40 or 32 I have installers I can recommend.

2 Likes

I have had great service from a pool installer serving 24,87 and 19 area. Built pools for me and have recommended to others who have been vwry satisfied.
PM me for info.

3 Likes

No problem Mark, I wasnt sure if you were recommend Graeme to take a look. With the pool poly blocks the webs that connect the outside of the block to the inside of the block are all quite large. That means tree roots etc can and do grow through them and they can also create air pockets under them when the concrete is poured. Obviously how serious this issue could be depends if you have trees and shrubs nearby. I prefer the basement type builing blocks like Nudura and others using thin rigid spacers which stop the above from hapening. Also with building basements a self adhesive waterproofing membrane is used on the outside to protect the polystyrene. This is usually ommited by pool companies and is a questionable practice. I also used a waterbar at the floor wall joint to stop water seeping in under the liner and frequently iron staining the liners, again I seem to be the only pool builder who did this important step which protects the liner and rebar. This is another thing left out by most pool builders and its much later that the issues begin.

1 Like

What are the downsides to a container pool?

Massive leakage of heat, long term corrosion as the inevitable oxidising power of chlorine or saline chlorine solution will atrack and cause staining issues. Galvanic corrosion around all fittings.

Unless you are richer than Croesus and can afford to have tilers on a retainer, don’t get a tiled pool.

1 Like

Thanks @Corona , so basically not such a bad system if installed correctly, and with the extras you suggest (waterbar, waterproofing the blocks etc).

One factor not mentioned so far is types of usage. Family and friends is a very different proposition to our gites complex, where usage by strangers is relatively unsupervised.

I’ve been thinking about putting a liner in our concrete pool for a decade - but am still undecided. Every time I talk about it with other effectively ‘public’ pool owners, I get stories of guests damaging liners. Opinions are mixed, but some certainly have found repairs/refitting more troublesome than we find with our unlined pool.

It’s true I think that things like waterline cleaning are easier with a liner, and I’m sure with reasonably careful usage there are less repairs and renewals over time - but I’m not so sure this holds true for heavy/unsupervised usage.

1 Like

In 47 I am feeling a bit left out!

I have a 57m2 extension to my house which has an earth floor.

I’m considering excavating an area in the middle of the extension roughly 7x3.5m to a depth of 70cm.
Then building hollow block walls around the sides.
The floor of the excavated space to be filled with limestone gravel to a depth of 7cm then a layer of sand on top of that.

The plan is then to install an above ground pool into the space and surround this with raised decking hopefully ending up with something similar to the pools in the two attached pictures.

BTW the reason for having a gravel/sand base is that if there is a water leakage, then the water will just soak away (rather than having to pump it out).

I believe that the advantages will be:

• privacy & security;
  • relatively low cost;
  • all year use;
  • no issues with leaves etc falling into the pool and surrounds;
  • lower cost to heat / use in the winter as the pool will be indoor;
  • longer pool life as it will not be exposed to the harsh summer sun.

The pool manufactures that I am considering are Bestway and Intex.

I anticipate having to change the pool approx every 7 years or so.

Can anyone think of disadvantages or issues?

Speaking of pools. We intend to get rid of our rectangular Intex pool in Autumn and replace it with an above ground wooden pool on a concrete base - the area slopes a bit and we want it to be level and stable. And, then we will be able to surround it with the final portion of the decking, which will then make a number of hideous areas of the garden area disappear.

Has anyone here installed an above ground wooden pool? Feedback very much welcome :slight_smile:

Cheers - Steve

I put an above ground wooden pool (about 8.5 x 4.5m) in about 2012. On a concrete base, sand filter, pump etc. Still in good condition , cost about €4k from E. Leclerc, but supplied by maison-et-jardin.fr IIRC.

Extras are heater (pompe a chaleur) and covers

2 Likes

Thanks Mark. We have a look at the website :wink:

We looked at an architect designed house with an indoor pool with a vague idea about buying it. The pool was dank - ventilation was poor and it was obvious they struggled to keep the glass roof and walls clean and algae/mildew free. And it probably wasn’t used nearly as much as they’d envisaged. The rest of the house was musty. Needless to say we walked away.
Your ventilation needs to be very, very good and the whole space needs regular/frequent cleaning - even more tedious than an outdoor pool unless you have staff. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

20 ish years for our bag liner and rented for 18, other than sun cream staining (Reimann P20) no issues.
Armoured on site liners are as strong as Armstrong vinyl flooring (because they also make on site liner pool material) 1.5-2mm thick with a strong mesh in between. Incredibly hard to damage and some great finishes too.
With a liner pool, its like wallpaper, change the liner to the latest paterns/finish and its like a whole new pool again.

1 Like

Insultation of the floor and walls as you also wont have the sun to heat it and once warm youll probably like it to stay that way. The cheap above ground pools you mention have terrible pumps and filtration and often no skimmer at all, meant for occasional summer use. Their liners are also the thinest on the market so think of 35-40 cubic metres of water escaping all at once with a failure. :flushed::disappointed::sob:
Using a poly block or wooden structure would give you a self supporting and strong frame and easy to attach decking to. Then you can have a thicker liner and far less risk. Also a proper filter and pump.

Also cash piscine, Zyke and webjardin I think they are called.