Which VPN to use?

PureVPN works with SkyGo.

Try it free for a month here:
The World's Fastest VPN Service

Pure is the only one I have tried lately that always works with sky go and virgin go.

NordVPN working faultlessly for F1 Quali :grinning:

1 Like

I use NordVPN as well, and have for 3 years now. I use a Wireless router with dd-wrt installed which runs the VPN for all devices connected to it via ethernet or wifi. It’s absolutely solid, fast and works with everything I’ve tried so far. You can check if your VPN service is up to scratch by visiting

This will tell you if a remote website is able to detect your ISP IP address, from which it can tell where you are located. A good VPN should hide you well enough so that a website cannot tell that you are in any other country than the one you select.

Edit: I do have to change servers occasionally, maybe every 4 months or so. Also, getting it working with a VPN capable router is not trivial if you don’t have any experience in such things, although there are very good tutorials on the NordVPN website and you can buy preinstalled and preconfigured devices via the website that are very easy to use.

1 Like

I bought a Linksys router which has a version of dd-wt called Tomato [supposedly more user-friendly] installed on it for the very same purpose. But it’s not so user-friendly that I understand how to rig it up to do the job yours is doing.

Going ‘direct’ from the laptop > VPN > iPlayer only works for as long as the VPN in question has not been rumbled. I have been round the block with most of them - Pure/Nord/Tunnel Bear et al - and sooner or later they get nobbled.

I did find a tutorial of some sort which I believe was a guide on how to configure a dd-wt/Tomato enabled router but I fell by the techy wayside. My capabilities are simply inadequate.

I’m about to get the keys to my new home, 5 mins walk to the centre of Vire and reported as ‘fibré’ by ‘Calvados - Projet Fibre’ and 3 - 4 ISPs [but not Orange] so I am starting from scratch. I have a 135cm dish that will give me Freesat but I would like iPlayer and similar if I can manage it. I’d be grateful for any advicee or pointers you coud offer on getting my Linksys Tomato to do the biz.