Who does the washing up?

My father however never cooked, cleaned or did anything around the house, our children had to muck in with the chores and we gave them all the same support with their choices be it education or whatever, however maybe down to nature rather than nuture the boys have chosen to live their lives differently to the girls and we have taken the conscience decision not to interfere or question what they do on the understanding that they take responsibility for the choices they make rather than just leave it us to deal with the mess they create.

My Dad was a naval man, very self-sufficient and could even darn his own socks… I still have his wooden darning egg somewhere… :relaxed:

2 Likes

My father was also a naval man and could make sails etc, ask him to make dinner for four people though and a blank look would come over his face.

Just as well he was never shipwrecked… :roll_eyes::hugs:

Oh, that’s a pity. When my children come home (that said I still have 20% of my children living at home) they like to do a bit of cooking, they deal with washing up (filling and emptying the machine) and do their laundry. And are delightful! So pretty much what they did when living at home full-time.

All my machines are far older than their chronological age as they are used a lot, they have had to work hard as I have 5 children and invariably have more to feed and often to house, now that they are gradually getting motorised I have hordes turning up under their own steam, it is lovely.

5 Likes

We have two homes. We have different skills. My wife is an excellent cook and hostess and I am not.

It seems only fair that in the house without a dishwasher I do all the washing up and the cleaning up after meals or dinner parties. In the house with the dishwasher I stack and empty the dishwasher and do the cleaning up. It seems only fair and sets a good example to the kids. I also find dishwashing and lawn mowing for that matter 'therapeutic.
Maybe I’m a bit odd.

Not odd, I find them the same.

You’re not odd Alec… you’ve worked out a balance between you… and I’m sure that if one of you fell ill… the other would take over whatever needed to be done. That is how all good partnerships work.

I recall one instance… I wasvery ill in bed and OH was doing his best :hugs:… he spoke to me gently, trying to keep the panic out of his voice. I’ve followed your instructions, but it is all happening at once…there’s steam everywhere…what shall I do. :worried:

Dear love, he was determined to cook me a “proper” meal… it came as a shock, be he managed… and has actually enjoyed cooking ever since.

Guess ???

3 Likes

Now that is a beautiful dishwasher :smiley:

2 Likes

Hope it’s restricted to the plates and not any left overs in the glasses ! :rofl:

1 Like

No hope of left over in the glass Ann :rofl:

2 Likes

The “Forlorn Hope”, springs to mind! :slightly_smiling_face:

The Wife naturally, her small feet allow her to get closer to the sink.

12 for lunch on Saturday, don’t mind washing, as long as I have a ‘drier upper’ :wink:

You’re a trooper… but I would still not be without my machine…:relaxed:

1 Like

Who does the washing and puts the washing out to dry; and who does the ironing (if anyone does, it seems to be going out of fashion)?

My mother taught me and my brothers how to prepare food for cooking, how to cook it, and how to serve it; how to iron a shirt and press our trousers; how to darn socks and make a rag rug.

My training as a nurse taught me that if I saw a task that needed to be done, it was my responsibility to do it, and to clear up afterwards. No questions asked as to whose job it was. You saw a need, it was you who had to fulfil it.

The same philosophy applies to the relationship of married couples, I reckon. I generally do the ironing, especially sheets and couettes, which are quite demanding. I like to do them neatly, also shirts and pants. It’s a kind of meditative thing.

My wife does most of the cooking, although we often cook or prepare food for ourselves. I often prefer a sandwich to a cooked meal. My wife seldom if ever eats a sandwich, or bread (except toast and marmalade). She loves fish, but I’m not very keen.

One of the advantages of a long marriage is the freedom to diverge, and not be a slave to couple-dom, which can be very restrictive.

3 Likes

Go along with that Peter, though neither of us, iron, efficient hanger outers and folders :wink:

1 Like

I was brought up doing chores not just to earn my (meagre) pocket money but just because it seemed part of family life where we all mucked in. In addition I would always watch my mother cook and was allowed to cut the veg and mix the cake mix which meant I got to lick the spoon at the end. It certainly helped me when I lived on my own as I already had the basics to survive, I’m not sure today’s youngsters are similarly equipped. Have to confess the one thing I’m crap at is ironing and I’m ashamed to admit that my mother used to do mine as she lived so close.

3 Likes

Me to for the dishwasher + the OH for the the saucepans hand washed .

1 Like