Why I think it's far better to be in France than the UK during these Economic times

Have a nice evening and a nice life Yan ;-)

Well, well, so the minority sets the standard? Because the way 'you' islanders talk about the remainder of Europe we must understand, agree, conform to that idea and above all shut up? You wanted to live in France which IS part of that 'continental Europe' so why wouldn't you conform?

Nick prefers 'life in Europe', but saying such a thing is utter nonsense. "Life in Europe". Doesn't he mean to say "life in Deux Sevres"? Because he may not like life at all, let's say, in one of the lesser banlieus of Paris or Lyon, or in Broek-op-Langendijk, or Maramures, or, talking about geographical Europe, in Dnipropetrovsk or Rostov-on-Don for instance.

And what exactly is 'a pro-european'? What are you in favour of? The pan-european idea with its pan-european constitution à la Valéry Giscard d'Estaing? The Europe the Dutch, French and last but not least Irish voted against? The Europe that the majority of British would vote against if they were given the opportunity?

Do you realize what your Nigel Farage has to say about that Europe? Some may pretend that he's a clown, but the man definitely knows what he's talking about and he's more than damn right.

Earlier you were talking about war and apparently think that it was this kind of super-structure that stopped the wars in Europe. Well, up until very recently we've seen some localized but very nasty conflicts in Europe and this great organization called the European Union bombarded the living shit out of innocent people inside their, still, sovereign European countries.

And then when they had the chance to avoid some nasty cases of ethnic cleansing they did not react and watched from a distance. The bombarding and shelling they did was with ammo containing depleted uranium and doing so they contaminated the respective areas for as long as this wonderful planet will continue its path around the sun.

Beside the internal European conflicts the union has made us 'stronger' and even 'better' at doing war, the difference is that now we've made it an export item... So now we go to war in poor countries we had nothing to fear of, ever, and do this in co-operation with the murder-club called NATO under the 'wonderful' umbrella of the pro-conflict organization with the very deceitful name United Nations.

Nation states can take care of a better world all by themselves and don't need any supervision. There are many fine examples of that. It's the few in power who want to keep it (power) that way who are to blame for organizing wars, and the man in the street not wise or strong enough to say: "You want war? F*ck it, go fight it yourself!

You know? From someone who was proud of my country and Europe and who was a francophile in bone and marrow I've become a critic, and I dare say so with good reasons!

Enjoy your evening,

Jan

P.S. Yellow card humbly accepted.

Thanks James, yellow probably best for now...

Jan - RED CARD! OFF!

Yellow card for that comment Jan

Yan, no need for that last remark and I think you need to be British to understand the way we talk about Europe meaning continental Europe, I'm a pro-european but am guilty of talking about the UK, as do most of my french friends and colleagues as if the UK wasn't part of Europe. we can come up with many versions of Europe: geographical, political, euro zone or not...!

This is where we need adjudication again, Jan is becoming abusive in his response to the question and some of his previous responses were not only off the ball but of a fantasy world to begin with. Now he is making it personal...

Reply by Nick Aurelius-Haddock yesterday

"I think it is I who have touched a nerve, and your rant above confirms this.Yes, you are completely wrong, there is zero dislike of the UK here, I love the place, but prefer life in Europe."

So you say that the island is NOT part of the European continent? Explain, my dear fart smellar...

Wow, this could have been my husband talking as he's seen this coming for a long while sadly especially as we both have and worry about children etc. living in the UK. He's" banged on" about lack of industry ever since I can remember, and where engineers were seen as "oily rags". Our French neighbour's son landed a good job in September working for a firm supplying and researching for Formula 1, developing a new system of braking, and he's only mid 20's AND he is heading the team. He is well qualified as engineering here is seen as a prestigious profession and career.

Hear hear Stanley!

Pity Nick & Aurelie this debat touched some nerves among friends of Survive France.

As an ancient football referee I have some experience of confrontations. My decision would be to blow the whistle, abandon the match, kiss and make up - and have a good party!

I think it is I who have touched a nerve, and your rant above confirms this.Yes, you are completely wrong, there is zero dislike of the UK here, I love the place, but prefer life in Europe.

In the interests of Entente Cordiale, lets agree to disagree, as I suspect I'm highly unlikely to persuade you of the benefits of Europe, and I know all about living in the UK. You have a very rosy view of the current situation, and I suspect that might be down to the fact you found work there. I would also guess your based in London, which always offers a warped view of the UK.

Getting rather contrary as well. This and the 26K one both.

all getting a bit daft this thread - I've already agreed with Aurélie that I think the UK is a better place to live for younger adults but I can't accept that it's better for middle aged and older in my/our situation and I'm not going to start again about UK -v- French unis either, I think I'll bow out gracefully, or as gracefully as I can, soon!

Oooh, knee shot!

With a non-French qualification, despite the EQF agreement that France is part of, even the very best British (and other) graduates struggle even. Emily is probably a good example as Andrew says.

no! far far from that, both oh and I work full time and more at times and pay way more taxes than i did in the uk but we get them back in the better redistribution of wealth here. And my quality of life is infinitely better... farmhouse with outbuildings and 7 hectares (ma femme est prof de productions animales dans le cheval et monitrice aussi) now where I was teaching in the UK and where I'm from I couldn't have bought more than a 1 bed flat for that in a really shitty area. BTW where do your boyfriend's parents farm in the west country?

In the UK yes, but that couldn't be further from the truth in France - speak to Emily about that!

But almost across the board missed 2008!

One of my favourite sayings, Economists forecast 15 of the last 5 recessions