Why, if you live in France, did you vote for Brexit?

A friend of mine posted this on facebook, ‘Brit-Patriot’ is clearly a very nasty bit of work, apart from being a confused, semi-literate knuckle-dragger. Ghastly.

4 Likes

It could be a russian troll who wrote this, check this out:

1 Like

We are free to form trade agreement with the commonwealth and others!! Parliament doesn’t move around although the leadership does. Abul Hanza wSnt deported because like everyone he was allowed to appeal and Theresa May as home Secreatary screwed up the paperwork. very frustrating to hear that this is why you voted out.

It is really interesting to read the comments from pro-brexit folks. Especially since arguments tend to be valid and not irrelevant.

I tend to have some admiration for the brits in a certain way, because they had the balls to politely say “f*ck you” to Europe, but on the other hand only time and economy evolution will tell if they were right.

Two scenarios are possible :

• The country will know a new boom, with maybe new customs agreement and free markets with other countries. Why not Norway and the USA for example ? There is a rule in economy, it’s called monetarism. The faster the money circulates, the faster inflation rises up. So when you enter Europe, you enter a bigger market, and your inflation rises up. Maybe it will become a new kind of fiscal paradise, it could be a really good solution to attract investors and create employment with a low level of taxes. But workers will have a bad time more than they used to. If the UK legalizes marijuana and prostitution like in Spain, they will rule the Footsie and the CAC40 thanks to VAT and taxes. Boris Johnson hire me I have plenty of ideas !

• Ten years of recession before getting better, with difficulties to deal with less economic attraction. And younger generations leaving the country for better economic opportunities. And plenty of new brits in Dordogne !

Overall, I am not sad or in a mood of deception as I never really considered british to be or feel european. Europe has been build and created by France and Germany in a way to never live a world war again. The first philosophy was to live in peace with neighbours. British are used to live on an island, so they still have that free islander mentality to me, not bad or negative saying that, just part of the culture to me. It’s like saying Martinique and Guadeloupe are part of the European Union, well technically yes…but local life really differs from Europe.

2 Likes

I appreciate your putting your point of view on this topic, Maxime, as you are clearly a friend of the British and have a very sound understanding of our peculiarities, if that’s an appropriate way to describe our differences. It isn’t intended in any negative sense.

As I was born in 1938 I have a distant recollection of wartime and post-war Europe and since childhood I have realised that Europe is a distinct entity with a common culture, and the Britain is a European country, and I am European.

Like many of my compatriots this identity as a citizen of Europe is not particularly strong in me, unless it is challenged, when I will strongly defend it. I am an internationalist and believe in solidarity with and peaceful.coexistence with all humanity, in its amazing diversity.

You say that Brits are an insular people, and it is true in my experience that British insularity is justifiably synonymous with many unpleasant attributes, including wilful ignorance of and sometimes contempt for other cultures, and hostility to strangers. Although not universal, these and many other attitudes and behaviours are widespread, and surface quickly at the slightest perceived provocation.

Another feature of British insularity is the imperialist ambition. Combined with contempt for inferior peoples, this has earned us a corresponding mistrust by other people’s around the world. I can’t see that approach to Brexit is going to do us much good when we leave. The legacy of historic hypocrisy and betrayal is too vivid. In our ambitions to bestride the world again in buccaneering style, we may well get our come-uppance. I think your faith in Boris Johnson is misplaced. Most of us think he is loathsome and utterly unreliable, including perhaps some members of his own family.

Best wishes for voicing your ideas so fluently and with such élan :grinning:

4 Likes

Religion and Politics :smile:

Brexit means ?..……(not long to wait now)

Not sure if anyone reads a newspaper anymore - I get all my news directly from Donald Trumps tweets :innocent:

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

David - think this must be fake. No one is that stupid. And which country is he talking about? Australia or the UK. If the UK what the hell is he doing in Australia??? No, something very odd about it.

Some very good points made there Peter. From my recollection of school days back in the 1960’s I was taught that everybody was inferior to we Brits. Other Europeans only had tanks that went in reverse, Antipodeans were basically all criminals or offspring of, Africans were people we pledged threepence to a month to stave off starvation, Americans were coarse and brash and the rest of the world didn’t exist outside of National Geographic magazine. Oh how privileged to be an Englishman.

2 Likes

Nothing much has changed then! :sob::sob:

2 Likes

When we bought here in 2003, the rate of exchange was around €1.51. When we moved here in 2006 it was €1.47. It remained fairly stable until December 2007 when it began to drop, almost reaching parity in January 2009. After that it picked up to around the €1.12 region where it remained (roughly) until the time of the referendum where it peaked to an eight year high. It has since returned to the €1.12 mark. The lower rate hurts, but it isn’t entirely to do with Brexit.
Almost 200 Countries belong to Interpol. Sharing information upon events and criminal activity since it began in 1923. I truly believe that no one Country or group of Countries is not going to pass on information relating to terrorist activities, just because we are no longer a member of the EU. The threats that are being made about this and other things are, I believe scaremongering. No one truly knows what will happen until it does.

3 Likes

What a load of cr**! Sorry but there’s no other way to describe your fiction.

1 Like

Love Europe, Hate the EU. Wasteful and corrupt.

Hi, can you give an example?
Hopefully nothing like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA3jeCIodPU

1 Like

I get that you can live in France as a Brit and still have little love for the EU.

But is it not rather selfish to say that you would vote to remove the freedom from others that you, yourself, exercised in coming to live in another EU country?

4 Likes

Hello Delia and welcome to the Forum.

Whereabouts in France are you (roughly)… and how long have you lived here…??

“Merkel’s and Macron’s race towards implementing the Coudenhove-Kalergi plan of white genocide”

That is offensive. And nonsense, but mainly it is really, really offensive.

6 Likes

Seems to me we need to do homework on you and your ‘persuasions’, deejay. Possible white-supremacist connections? Possible racist bigotry? Member of extremist movements? Only asking, deejay. You are free to check me out too, of course.

1 Like

I am conversant with Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi’s life and works, thanks. I still think what you wrote was offensive nonsense.

1 Like

That all seems reasonable, deejay, but what’s the link to Chancellor Merkel of Germany, President Macron of France, and a plan to annihiliate the ‘white race’ of western Europe by genocide? Can you supply a little more information, or narrative if you like, on the rationale for this plan, and its implementation? So we can discuss it nicely? :grinning: