Wild garlic - I should have guessed

It turns out the Latin name for ail des ours is Allium ursinum

I bet most of you knew that already, but I didn’t.

1 Like

it grows nearby so, yes… I did know… :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

Also known in some parts of the UK as Cow’s Leek

2 Likes

Is it also known as ransoms or is that a related plant?

How on earth am I going to translate Cow’s Leek when I chat with my neighbour… who’s got this in his garden… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, ramsons

And the same in German, FWIW. I am extremely envious of some friends of ours south of Poitiers who have masses of it growing in their woodland.

Given shady and damp conditions it really thrives - well it does here in Normandy at any rate!

Bärlauch where my parents live, not cows’ :slightly_smiling_face:

That was my plan … until I discovered it’s toxic to cats

Ail des ours should do the trick :laughing:

no… he loves to know what xyz is in English… :rofl: :rofl: “wild garlic” sounds much too tame… but cow’s whatzit… hmmm :roll_eyes: :joy:

Poireau de vaches? Or is that too literal?

1 Like

I think we’ll have a good laugh about it… 'cos it doesn’t make sense… anyway

Very healthy to eat compared to domestic versions.

LOL, thought I was replying to the first post :joy:

1 Like

I would not be concerned. Cats are pretty good at not eating
Wild Garlic… or any member of the allium family.

Give your cats a nice plantation of grass and cat mint & they will be happy to leave other plants alone.

I’m just going to have blow your idea that cat’s don’t like garlic.
Our last Brit cat a big 16 kg black tabby, dog scarier rabbit lover and garlic eater loved wild garlic and catnip . He used to eat the wild garlic that grew in our front yard by chewing down to ground level and the breath over you. Lovely boy.
Many was the time that if one of us preparing a meal with garlic had to leave the kitchen for anything the door had to be closed or you would come back to find a large black cat on the chopping board mingling with the garlic scents.
Don’t ya just love our animal antics an£ foibles!

1 Like

Sure do latest kitten is a sock thief… and pig when it comes to food. Anything goes.
But the only plant I had problems with - was an oriental lily cutflower. Kitten curious played and ate a seamen… we were at vet at a very fast pace. Cost a bomb and have banned cats from rooms with lilies.

Did you mean stamen?