Wild garlic pesto

We have some we planted in a pot years ago when we were working in an old mill whose grounds were full of it. We’d like to release it into our garden somewhere but, despite the rain, I think our garden is now too dry - nothing at all to do with the big farmer having installed his own wells as this would obviously not lower the local water table, would it…

1 Like

That’s interesting as I have always used pine kernels. Walnuts are far more “french” and easily available, so next time I make it I will follow your example. We have a source of wild garlic just along the road, but the last batch I made (jars and some frozen) was from the garden behind our flat in Croydon, of all places!

3 Likes

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has a very nice pesto recipe using walnuts, parsley and parmesan…

At some point I may try using nettles … but that would definitely need the addition of garlic

I’m not sure whether the recipe I was referring to includes garlic or not - I shall check…

Sorry, I meant if I were to use nettles instead of wild garlic (which already has enough garlic punch - though subtle)

I have not seen wild garlic here.
Shame.

They give similar advice in a piece in this evening’s Connexion about the dangers of mistaking Springtime wild garlic for something rather more deadly:-

Anyone who can’t tell the difference between wild garlic and colchicum should only buy food in a supermarket.

5 Likes

You can make something very nice by cooking up red peppers and garlic in olive oil until soft, adding salt pepper and a squeeze of lemon then whizzing it up with walnuts :slightly_smiling_face:

Better off dead really

2 Likes

But the gout wouldn’t be so painful :wink:

1 Like

The Confusion strikes again!

I have no idea what plant they were actually thinking of, but Colchicum looks nothing like wild garlic, in flower or in leaf.

Perhaps they were thinking of lily of the valley? The leaves are a bit similar.

When ever using plants from the wild, do blanch the leaves.
Foxes and other animals spread Weil’s disease (leptospirosis) - not something you wish to pick up.
If you pick food/plants near cattle, liver fluke is another nasty easily acquired up when foraging.

Not taking any risks, my foraged food gets either heat or very thourogh wash treatment. Not keen on any bugs.

Dont blame you, my post was more an add on to yours.

1 Like

Leptospirosis also transmits very easily. It was around when I was young. Even a tiny splash of animal urine getting into your eyes, mouth or nose has a high risk of infecting you.