Wild garlic pesto

I did it and, without blowing my own trumpet, it was gorgeous.

200g wild garlic
100g walnuts
100g parmesan
Olive and colza oils

8 Likes

Past tense - it’s all gone,- you must have gorged on its gorgeousness

2 Likes

Haha! It made a surprising amount, so I’m giving some to the friend who gave me the idea.

It’ll be a race against time to finish it before it starts to return to nature. Fortunately Mrs P was impressed. I might try putting a bit on a steak for her 

Bought some garlic scapes at Cordes sur Ciel market last Saturday - surprisingly good market for such a touristy place (SIL visiting from Joburg). Have been using them in everything this week and hope they might be on tomorrow’s market in Decazeville - not pretty, but very good and inexpensive local produce.

1 Like

Why colza?

I like it, and it is bio. And cheaper than olive.

It also has a high smoking point so is a good choice when frying.

Rapeseed oil contains erucic acid, a fatty acid which is associated with adverse effects on heart tissue, notably myocardial lipidosis. This can potentially affect the contractile force of the heart.20 Oct 2022

Shame to alduterate a great pesto with an ingredient because its cheap vs healthier option.

2 Likes

I think we’ve read the same report.

Their findings were that the war in Ukraine will lead to an increase use in rapeseed oil and thus higher consumption of erucic acid but there’s been a lack of human testing and no evidence of severe illness so far linked to erucic acid.

I guess like most things, it’s all about moderation
 although just to be sure, I’ve decided to no longer eat kale, cabbages and turnips :smiley:

2 Likes

makes me glad I stocked up on my favourite brand of olive oil, when I came across it on special offer last year

2 Likes

I have just been down a rabbit hole first looking for images of wild garlic to help me identify them around here
watched a Saxon preserving the wild garlic leaves
then clicked on his video where he was making acorn coffee
always wondered
then found this link : have a look:

Her channel is Insteading: https://www.youtube.com/@Insteading
Making flour from acorns and so so much more

Sorry, looks like something the dog leaves in the garden whe he’s eaten something he shouldn’t ofđŸ’©

1 Like

As would most nut butters etc. Come to think of it, most people may not eat/like the look of a lot of foods if the were not interfered with by highly processing them, grey margarine anyone?

When you get to know it, it’s the smell that’s the giveaway (and the beatiful, tiny flowers). I always check by breaking a leaf in two and sniffing.

2 Likes

I think that, technically in the UK at least, it’s called “ransoms”. The French name is derived from the latin so I’ve no idea where ransoms came from.

1 Like

Seems as though there are many varieties
 I have already tried the wild leeks
brilliant
off to have a look for the garlic and will post a photograph
I have seen some very pretty white flowers in and around the vineyards
à toute.

1 Like

Unlikely to be round vineyards as it prefers damp woodland edges.

Ransoms is derived from the old Irish for bitterness apparently :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s not often I have the opportunity so you’ll have to forgive me

it’s RAMSONS

:rofl:

4 Likes

That’ll teach me to reread what I wrote! I’ve just texted it and sure enough my tablet corrects it to ransoms (as it ‘corrected’ the verb after ‘just’).

For texted read tested, for ransoms read ramsons, obv.

Loads of lovely German recipes using BĂ€rlauch :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes