Wild life in the garden, or around!

Two more photos!

Asian hornet

European hornet

They are welcome to stay, but the shrew wanders quite close to my feet in the evenings ā€“ donā€™t want to tread on her - and mousey has cats to contend with, if they decide to come indoors, which they donā€™t at the moment.

Decisions, decisionsā€¦!

Am having a problem IDā€¦ing these 2 birds. Anyone know what these two might be?

Bird 1 is brown backed, light underside and with a grey shroud around head and neck. Think itā€™s a warbler of some kind. Videoed in May this year.

Bird 2 I think is a siskin, maybe a pine siskin, but canā€™t find a match on the internet. Videoed in August.

Sadly one of our frogponds is totally dried out this yearā€¦ this a photo from last year.

2 Likes

According to the RSPB birds can lose plumage due to stress during the breeding season, including baldness ā€“ but those feathers do grow back

Welcome to baldy-scruffbagsā€¦ā€¦but this isnā€™t as bad as some Iā€™ve seen on the internet.

Not sure if this blackbird is male or femaleā€¦ā€¦possibly a juvenile.

If you like insects, flying insects, then Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be as fascinated (fascinatingly beautiful) as I was on seeing these videos ā€“ a series called bugs in flight, by Ant Labā€¦though I donā€™t think European insects are includedā€¦

2 Likes

Tiger moth.

Jersey Tiger (moth)ā€¦ marvellous watching this fluttering aboutā€¦

Iā€™ve never seen the transparent winged one before - stunning !

My mum had hummingbird hawk moths in her garden in Stevenage back in the late 80s, it is where I first saw and photographed them (back when prints were still a thing) :wink:

Havenā€™t seen any so far this year, but then again, I havenā€™t been trimming the hedges or the virginia creeper, which is where they tend to hang outā€¦

Recently found one climbing up the crepi in full sunā€¦ presumably hoping to hide behind the shutter aboveā€¦ as it was 44c at the timeā€¦
all the greenery is on the other side of the house and thatā€™s where I usually spot 'emā€¦ in the trumpet vine etcā€¦ havenā€™t seen any there yet this yearā€¦ but fingers crossed.

Incidentallyā€¦ anyone spotted Stagbeetles???
Only seen just the one, flying-by at sunset, several weeks agoā€¦ usually see lots on the walls etc but nuffink.

Is bird 1 a dunnock ?

Same here, evening flight back in July, but none on any of the oak trees or on the ground so far.

The small brown bird, with the blackbird, is a dunnock. Get quite a few of them nowā€¦

real dearth of lizards and slugs and snailsā€¦
used to have different sorts of lizards, ducking and diving from the walls to the stonesā€¦ up the houseā€¦ everywhereā€¦ now itā€™s just the odd one or twoā€¦

Snails are rare but not completely out of the picture.

I saw the first slug (and quite a large one) ā€¦ ā€¦ the other dayā€¦ hadnā€™t seen any for months and not even seen that one sinceā€¦

nature is definitely on a strange planetā€¦

I think I answered wrongly here. Yes it looks a bit like a dunnock, but I donā€™t think it is. If you look at my other video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYr37TDBccA - thatā€™s a dunnock. Seems to be different to the one I think is a warblerā€¦

Bats in the Man Cave or, as Iā€™m outnumbered 7-8 to 1, Man in the Bat Cave.

6 Likes

Finally found my hummingbird hawkmoth pictures. Itā€™s impossible to get the wings to freeze with the sort of camera I had then, but here is one.

It took about six or seven attempts to get one like this. They flit around so fast !

A different view.

4 Likes

I used to think there were 4 sizes of hummingbird mothā€¦ then discovered that the really tiny one was actually a bee-flyā€¦ :roll_eyes: :rofl:
not my video but it does show what we get mixed in with the true hummingbird moths on our valerien flowers et alā€¦

2 Likes