4 Likes

Picture of dragonflies, near to a lake not far from home

8 Likes

Hungry bumble bee

8 Likes

P1020740

7 Likes

Nice photos.

Splitting hairs the 2nd pic is a pair of Damselflies.

1 Like

How do you get so close? They’d be gone if I got within 10 meters. A dragonfly whisperer perhaps😉

4 Likes

Thank you Paul, I’ve learnt something today ! I thought they were all Libellules. Now I know the red ones are “Demoiselles”

2 Likes

Damselflies and dragonflies are very similar - the best way to tell them apart is that damselflies settle with their wings along their body, whereas dragonflies settle with the wings at right angles to their body which is well illustrated in the two photos that you took.

Other differences are that dragonfly eyes are larger and wrap around the whole head whereas damselfly eyes are a bit smaller and separate and dragonflies have a thicker thorax than body.

7 Likes

Will remember that Paul ! Merci beaucoup !

2 Likes

Patience Chris, patience … Just sit and wait for something to happen !

1 Like

Apologies if I’ve posted this before. On Sue’s hand in the garden last year.

8 Likes

Amazing creatures, I haven’t seen one for years. Wonder if there is a lot of those around, in Brittany ? Would love to take a picture of one of those.

1 Like

a little visitor chez moi

6 Likes

This little guy hitched a lift on my rear windscreen when I went shopping. He obviously needed to get to the nearest town :wink:

5 Likes

Love his shadow on the floor, could be very scary at night if you are half asleep !

4 Likes

They know how to live with their time ! Quick adaptation !

2 Likes

I think they are found throughout France. They don’t mind being picked up which makes them easy to photograph.

3 Likes