Wild weather 2021/2022

Take care of yourselves @geoffrey_Croshaw

1987 “Hurricane Fish” … if I recall correctly… to think we watched him present the Weather Forecast on TV… gave us such comfort to know there was nothing to worry about :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

We had recently moved to Gloucestershire from Hampshire and my friend and neighbour told us about it.
Her house was called Old Oaks and they were close to the house.
Very sheltered in our Cotswold valley.

I’m hoping we escape this one, our house being tucked part-way down the Cherwell valley.

This morning we were talking with a young friend about the '87 storms. At that time we were living in Thornton Heath, London, and my wife was pregnant with our first child. We woke up to find the power off, but no worries there. I took her to the station, only to find there wasn’t a train to Balham where she worked, so dropped her at the bus stop instead. As I began driving to work I saw trees fallen on cars, then found all the trees along the entry road to the place I worked fallen. Finally got into my lab, but it was absolutely silent because the power was off there too, and all the freezers etc weren’t working. We had no idea what had happened until I heard the radio later that day.

Surprisingly its just foggy here with intermittent light showers in 53, hopefully it will pass us by,

This site seems to provide interesting information:

1 Like

That is the best weather site I have ever seen, Thanks its now in my favourites.

2 Likes

Well we won’t be going for our usual coastal walk today despite the beautiful blue sky and racing clouds but I don’t think the storm is as bad as 87.

That’s good. After the failure of prediction in 87, I think the forecasts tend to err on the side of overstatement, just to be sure!

Wow… that does look interesting… it can take pride of place on my bookmarks’ toolbar… I’ll kick the “lightning map” offside… :+1:
(it’s even got me checking my barometer… currently 30)

1 Like

Winds at 1pm here… noon in UK

Mind you from that map seems like the wind speed is still going up 89 where we are

Bridge of Earn in Perth at a standstill at the moment.

Just heard of a huge eucalyptus tree coming down in UK… I’ve known that tree since it was a sprouting tiddler… so sad… but no one hurt etc… so all good really.

Hope everyone’s safe and sound…

We had really bad gales and torrential rain yesterday, today blue skies an no wind, weird.

We had some decent gusts yesterday (50-60 kph) our little valley in SE 47, but oddly, there were periods of utter stillness between the gusts.