Wildlife Trail Camera suggestions

I am considering buying a Trail camera that fixes to a tree etc. I have many animals coming into my garden, including Roe Deer. And I would like to get some pictures/images of them. Could anyone recommend one upto a max of €100. Thank you

I have this one. Honestly, it isn’t too bad, and certainly much better than my previous Chinese trailcams.

The connection to the camera via the phone (Bluetooth and Wifi) can be a bit of a faff sometimes, failing for no apparent reason, and generally trying to scroll through the images via the wireless phone connection isn’t always the best idea, as it can be quite slow to refresh the images as you scroll down on your phone.

Another negative point is that the rechargeable batteries (which I bought extra) suffer from extreme heat, extreme cold, and despite its waterproof rating, from downpours in which case it has a tendency to switch itself off, or reset the internal clock to the default date (in the latter case, it still continues to function, just with the wrong date/time).

Other than that, I’m actually pretty satisfied.

The main difficulties come in deciding whether, and how many, photos to take before getting the video camera to take over, as the video camera is slower to start up than the photo part.

3 Likes

I have a Coolife trail camera which I did eventually find very good but finding something wrong with it at first because I didn’t understand I complained and gave it a bad review. I can’t remember now what the problem was but as a result they sent me another one without asking for the first one back.

I got pleading emails from what sounded like a young girl or woman saying that if I didn’t upgrade my review she would be chucked out in the street without a job. That set me against her rather than anything else but eventually it was sorted and I was also sent a free solar charger too. :astonished:

I have remembered now the reason it wouldn’t work, it needs 1,5V AAbatteries, which are rare, and I was using the more usual 1.2V.

In the end I had to buy special ones with a slot in the top to recharge them on a special charger which plugs into the computer, wouldn’t charge on an ordinary charger which I have.

Apart from that it works fine, but a lot of mucking about before I was satisfied.

3 Likes

Thank you both, it’s just the kind of information I am looking for

1 Like