Will they extend? How to find the 'missing' people?

Do you have the Regional Elections in your area Andrew?
If so, I can’t see any escape for you at all.
Your comments are always welcome here.

1 Like

Yep, I’ll be voting on Subway, Jane :grin:

1 Like

They specifically said they would be understanding due to covid.

I however think it is ridiculous that people didn’t have bookings in 2020, all the gites around here were nigh on fully booked and had a great season. With Brits? No, not a lot but the French all holidayed at home and plenty of Belgians etc ect too. I suspect those that had a bad year were either not prepared to rent out or not prepared to go out side thier Brit bubble

4 Likes

Possibly, but for a lot it seems like it was just either ignorance of the law / misunderstanding ‘Freedom of Movement’ to mean they could do what they damn well like and choose their tax filing country etc / why should I have to do that attitudes are also seen / if I had a euro for every ‘but we just didn’t need to … until now’ I’d be wealthy!

I’d say the vast majority that went over the 6 months a year genuinely didn’t realise they were being illegal not submitting tax returns etc I guess the rest just knew that they could get away with it! Cake anyone?

3 Likes

It ended up as one of our better years in terms of turnover! (Not in terms of cleaning…which was a nightmare)

2 Likes

ignorance of the law is no excuse and “misunderstanding” is just an excuse.

5 Likes

Unless the missing people are living totally off the grid, a quick check of the TdS database against EDF’s database should flag up anyone who isn’t on both.

Let’s face it, an EDF attestion/fracture is the number one proof of address in France.

Er? How would that help (if it is even legal to do that, as not sure we gave permission for our EDF account to be used by immigration department).

All the people on the TdS database will be bonafide residents more or less. So are you suggesting they trawl EDF for all people called Smith, Jones, Murphy, etc and check they also appear on TdS database?

1 Like

And if they don’t, then presume the most obvious thing which is that they’re without a CDS because they’re second home owners so are British residents and taxpayers…

1 Like

I guess it would be OK for the government to cross-reference its own databases, demanding EDF or Orange cough up theirs probably contravenes the GDPR even if both organisations are quasi governmental.

Going by names is probably going to be a bad idea - not every Smith will be British (and for that matter not every Dupont French).

Not sure where you go from there. You need a list of “Brits in France” but one of the problems is that there isn’t a single neat, up to date list which gives that info.

except of course the WARP issued list itself :wink:

1 Like

If the problem is people being under the radar and not getting themselves sorted I’m presuming they are, by definition, not on the WARP list?

Ohhhh no there isn’t!

5 Likes

Personally I think it is a little naive to think that a Brit currently living in France doesn’t know that Brexshit has happened. Perhaps the fall out from it and the need to apply for a residency permit by the end of the month could possibly have passed them by but somehow I doubt it. Is it really possible to live life here totally disconnected from society? Perhaps it is.
France has been extremely generous and accommodating to us all by making the application process perhaps much easier than it should have been but at least for France it has got the process out of the way in double quick time.
Boris and co were desperate to have a cut of point of 31st December? Last year when all ties would be severed. I very much doubt that the French government will look to extend the residency process, why should they.

5 Likes

I know of two such people. The lad I mentioned earlier and also an elderly widow, partially blind, lived in France many, many years.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying Sue, but… we also know of people who may be vulnerable and may not have seen the need to address the issue so we have taken it upon ourselves to ensure that they do to the extent of providing positive help to ensure they don’t leave themselves out.
It’s a good neighbourly thing.
I doubt that someone vulnerable is so isolated that they will not have someone to consider their interests - or are the British so selfish of their fellow countrymen?

2 Likes

Ha ha… Mat… we could turn this into a pantomime… oh yes there is… oh no there isn’t… :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

The figures don’t need to be deadly accurate… it’s the idea that counts… and recalling that advice given to me when I was much younger… well, that’s saved my sanity.

There will always be folk (of whatever percentage) who deny/refuse whatever… and such is their right.

3 Likes

I don’t think most of us are that worried about people who refuse to do this on some sort of principle, but the vulnerable are very different and there are people here who have been here for 20, 30, 40 years or so and may not be at all connected to much. They may even be illegal but it’s difficult not to be concerned…

1 Like

Angela… of course, I’m not talking about folk who are ignorant of what is going on…

My comments about 10% were for folk like @toryroo who are working their socks off to get everyone done… and now having to worry about folk who are refusing all good advice.

For those who might be under the radar for whatever reason… and be frightened to come up for air (and make the application).
I have always advised to go and speak with Tax Folk etc… they are not ogres… and they can usually find a way through the mire to everyone’s satisfaction.

2 Likes

They most certainly can! I’ve always found officials here to be very helpful when approached in person. The difficulty is that with covid and digitalisation it is becoming more difficult to do the face-to-face stuff which, in my view, is essential for our society here. Tory has certainly done more than her fair share of trying to get everyone registered. I do hope she is going to get a good break after the end of the month!

2 Likes