Will We Get Our Ballot Papers in Time to Return Them and Your Options?

I’d add something about vote swapping to the tactical voting section, people might find voting for a party other than their preferred choice more palatable if they are assured of a vote for that party in a constituency where they have a better chance of victory.

1 Like

I would wait and see what happens with the Electoral pact between the Lib Dems, Greens and Plaid and then look at the figures again.
It would certainly make a difference in my constituency.

I was born, lived and worked in London for 53 yrs… got fed up with life there, was very fortunate to buy a house here in France, and moved here in 2006… I have lived here full time since 2006… why would i want to vote in their elections, forcing my vote and opinion of the peoples of the uk, when everything i do, day by day is governed buy EU and French rules… Personally, i believe; if you do nt live in UK. keep your nose out!
They do not need interfering expats making a bigger and pointless mess than exists there already.
I have a friend, lived in Hong Kong, Egypt and now France… but still wants to vote in UK elections… this person has not lived in UK for over 25yrs… what’s the point, what can anyone resident and paying taxes in France gain?
Worry about your local mairie and what Macron is doing… not “Good old Blighty”…

1 Like

Hi Bob, @Bob_williams and yours is a perfectly valid POV powerfully expressed.

I expect there are many besides yourself that share your opinion that those who no longer live in the country, and don’t perhaps contribute to it, should have no claim to political influence through their vote. That opinion must carry some weight.

On the other hand, there are those who have made a substantial contribution to the country over a number of years, still have links to it, and concerns for its future, especially for its children and other dependents who have no political voice themselves, or can’t get it heard.

Living abroad doesn’t necessarily mean cutting all ties, giving up all rights, or abandoning all responsibility for its future.

Exercising a vote is, you may agree, a privilege and perhaps a duty, although a non enforceable one.

I value it and try to use it wisely in my country’s better interests, as I see them, without riding roughshod over the wishes and néeds of others who see things differently.

It is still possible to influence political discourse, policy and action by belonging to an international branch of your favoured political party, if you have one.

Politics is increasingly internationalised, reaches across borders and, strengthens collective action and understanding.

“No man is an island, entire of itself. Each is part of the Main. Ask not to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.” A very old (and abbreviated by me) saying, but still true, I think.

1 Like

Personally, if you have a pension from UK, you need to be able to vote on what will happen to it and the financial goings on of the Government.
Also, many people still have family and grandchildren, so education and health are important.
You have a very blinkered point of view.

1 Like

Tandridge has let us know today that postal vote packs will be posted “around November 22nd”

“If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less…Any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind.”

I love Donne. And actually all the metaphysical poets :heart:.
(Very prophetic though, clods being removed from Europe)

2 Likes

Hi Bob - l assume you have taken French nationality and can vote in the French Presidential and Legislative elections - unfortunately l am in a position where l have no vote in either - nor can l vote in the UK because of the 15 year rule. I really cannot see how being allowed to vote only in Municipale and european elections is truly democratic - perhaps you can help me out​:confused::confused::confused:

Sorry Dan, you have assumed wrong. British politics are a mess at the best of times.
French politics are totally alien if not indigenous to France, I love living here, the people are great but I don’t understand anything of their politics… so i leave it for them to decide their lives and i go along with their choice, and judging by the “Gilet jaunes” protests, they’re not too happy with their last choice in Macron?
They can’t wait for the ballot box to make the changes?
I could apply for, and get a vote in the UK, but i will not interfere in what doesn’t concern me.
Personally, i wouldn’t vote for the Coryn and ilk. Lib dem excon party are potty, Farage would trash the country worse than Corbo, Boris acts the clown, but can possibly do what he says… which would be a first for a politician!! and then welch on all the other things he proposes…
Which should i elect if i voted from here, and what would i benefit if i voted?
The ballot paper will not ask if i want my rights continued here in France, my S1 to continue, and my pension to be uprated for ever… and they’ve been squabbling for years now to sort it out, and look where it is now!
IF; there are 60 million people in UK?.. let then sort their domestic problems, the Brexit squabble will still continue whomever gets to sit on the green seats.

It’s not that complicated! It just isn’t the same as in the UK. If you want to understand us better you should learn about our politics; they affect your life, after all.
Macron won the presidential election but that doesn’t mean all of us approve of everything he does, that is normal. It is good for politicians to be kept on their toes, they should remember the Tarpeian Rock is near the Capitol.

Hello Jane,
Me… Blinkered, simplistic?.. maybe, but my sister and family, my extended family in Uk would not thank me for sticking my hooter into their futures… I still have a few pennies in uk banking, so the prosperity of the uk influences it’s value as €uros… Same for my pension value as €uros.
I still say it’s not for me to choose which lot of cronies, run the chaos of government…
I’m not there, and i do care… but still will not interfere!!

Well Bob if you cannot vote here what is your point - Surely anything that has such a massive impact on quality of life issues as Brexit, Presidential elections and the up coming GE in the UK then democracy matters - if you don’t have a vote, like me, surely you feel disenfranchised?

Hi Dan, I do not want to vote here… their politics are not my interest, and i don’t have enough time left on the planet to even try to understand who is the best for France, I have an understanding in Uk politics, and am certainly not disenfranchised… as i don’t want to vote there. Seeing how 630 politicians are bitching all the time about Brexit and everything else.
There have been, and will continue to be talks long after the GE, as to what “deal” is struck…most of it has already been agreed in principle.
i’m certain we, and our European counterparts in the UK, will not be turned out on the streets… . despite the acidic reporting in the press?
no matter what colour party has the most seats in parliament, or what rainbow of parties have power!
If i were to vote, and the opposite party won… what effect would i suffer, or enjoy in my life here?
Zip.Zilch, Nada!!.. I’m more concerned at the possibility of the “Gilet jaunes” kicking off again…
The ultimate democratic force in France today… totally influenced by no voting or reasoning?

Who said anything about being turned out on the streets - more fake news. You live here and take all that is best for you from France but have little or no interest in contributing to the on going narrative - you would rather sit back and bemoan your lot worrying about a handful of violent protesters “kicking off again” . Sounds like you’ve got it all sorted.

What a strange outlook you seem to have when you say that exercising your right to vote is interfering. It appears you have a more nationalistic outlook rather than a democratic one, which is your right. I would urge you to think again where you see where nationalism is taking us.

Hmmm. fake news…
I am still waiting to here the real “true” news!
I do not know enough, nay, anything about which party in France is good or not for France…
Do you live here in France Dan?
Have you not heard some of your friends worrying if they can stay here, if they’re going to be told to pack their bags?.. how many vote here?
A couple i know have been swatting for, and now have French nationality “to avoid being deported” in their words.
none of my many expat friends vote here, but worry that they might not, or can not vote in the country they left over 15yr ago.
The gilets protests cost me a lot of lost work here and a great inconvenience for months on end… no access to my local markets, no access to diesel, no access to DIY and builders stores for the materials i needed for customers…
Being held up at every junction, making me late for a cardiac appointment for m.o.h…
month on month of protests against a 5c fuel rise was well justified!.. the rest became totally anarchic…
when the ballot paper fails, there’s always force, right?
Yeah i welcome the gilets stopping me all the time, i loved them stepping into the road in front of my truck at point blank range.
Why would i bemoan them and their actions?

I am a guest here in France, You understand your politics, i do not. and do not have enough time in life to study and make a valid decision… I will be long gone from this world.
I have to defer to the choice of your countrymen to make the decisions for your country.
If you understand and have voted and are not totally happy with Macron, what chance do i stand of getting it right?
The Guillotine is much closer to home than the Tarpeian Rock for… traitiors… and politicians?
That might keep them on their toes?

Morning Bob - I pay a shitload of dosh in taxes in the UK and a considerable amount here. (Double Taxation Treaty). l am not a guest here, my wife and daughter are French. The only other UK immigrants l communicate with are on this site, l don’t know any personally, all my family and friends here are French. Yes l agree that the GJ created havoc after being infiltrated by ‘bad actors’ and that French politics can be a little difficult to get your head round initially. Surely after 13 years of living and working here you must have some interest in your local commune and how the decisions of the municipal council impact your life, even if national and presidential politics are beyond you voting in local elections is a way of having your say.

If i were to return to my roots in London…Then i would use my democratic vote i would vote for my future there.
What happens in Islington or Walthamstow has zero effect on me here.
Why would i vote for a politician in my original constituency, when the roads around me here are in an atrocious condition, my communal dustbins are overflowing?
I see that as interfering in things that do not concern me in Uk,
I might vote for the party that gets Brexit done for sure, then my nephew can live with the consequences of my actions.
Maybe i would vote for those whom wish to nationalize every industry and get rid of those whom earn more than 10 grand per year… and would start another “Brain drain” like in the 60’s
none of it affects me here… just vindictive voting on my part to create a more toxic environment for others in UK?

1 Like

Surely you don’t really believe that any politician can be 100% perfect for anyone? I voted for Macron in both rounds, that doesn’t mean I think he walks on water. If he attempts to do something I don’t agree with, I shall go and demonstrate.

3 Likes