Will you be seeking French Citizenship?

I'm scottish and have lived in france for now over 20 years. have buisness, speak fluently. french child . i didnt change before as someone at the prefecture told me i would give up my own nationality. this doesnt seem so important now. I feel i must have french nationality so i can vote againt FN. especially after brexit vote .

Yes , after 11 years "The time has come" the Nigel said, "To invite rascists into bed " but not for me a Septic Isle , I'll rest in France and cry awhile .

Hopefully as I'm over 60 ..a lot over 60 ,married to a French National ,it wont be too difficult . Breaks my heart , but I am here to stay and do love La France and it's habitents .

you can use the marriage in less then four years if you can prove you have been together for the required period,ie have a house together.

I've had two for the past ten years and have renewed both during the past six months.

That's interesting .... my French is not brilliant (I am trying!!!), but not up to that standard I fear. The next question is, can I have THREE passports? (Makes me look like "Jason Bourne"! :-) )

I've had the papers for about a year as I was concerned about the outcome. I'm not convinced the UK will actually leave the EU. Nothing irrevocable has been started, but I may well start the naturalisation process anyway.

I don't particularly want to simply because it's a pain in the derrière.

As long as none of those three exclude that facility eg United States afaik

That's an interesting one, Florian, missed that but there again we haven't actually gone into this, it was just a knee-jerk joke from OH after the Brexit vote. Anyway, we've been together for over 10 years, have two kids, house business etc. so all we need to do is pop along to see the maire and tie the knot :-O

Just checked the government website and there's nothing about having lived together before the marriage in the requirements, it states quite clearly 4 years from the date of the marriage - where did you get the info, Florian?

Sorry Patrick -- I didn't understand that (facility)-- could you explain?

Here's a cut & paste from the gov site which confirms what you say Andrew - 4 years is the MINIMUM there's a lot more but here is the most relevant bit:

Le mariage avec un conjoint français n'emporte pas
automatiquement l'acquisition de la nationalité française par
l'époux étranger. Voici un point sur les conditions et les
formalités applicables.
Conditions
Conditions propres au mariage
Conditions propres à l'époux étranger
Procédure
Dépôt du dossier
Enquête de la préfecture
Décision
Conditions
Conditions propres au mariage
Le conjoint étranger peut acquérir la nationalité française par déclaration après un délai de
quatre ans à compter du mariage s'il remplit les conditions suivantes :
Recherche
à la date de la déclaration, la communauté de vie tant affective que matérielle entre les
époux ne doit pas avoir cessé depuis le mariage ;
le conjoint français doit avoir conservé sa nationalité.
Le délai de communauté de vie est porté à cinq ans lorsque l'étranger, au moment de la
déclaration :
soit ne justifie pas avoir résidé de manière ininterrompue et régulière pendant au moins
trois ans en France à compter du mariage ;
soit n'est pas en mesure d'apporter la preuve que son conjoint français a été inscrit pendant
la durée de leur communauté de vie à l'étranger au registre des Français établis hors de
France.
Lorsque le mariage a été célébré à l'étranger, il doit également avoir fait l'objet d'une
transcription sur les actes d'état civil français.
Conditions propres à l'époux étranger
L'étranger doit également :
justifier d'une connaissance suffisante de la langue française ;
ne pas se trouver dans une des situations prévues au sein de l'article 21-27 du Code civil
parmi lesquelles figurent notamment le cas de la personne condamnée à une peine égale
ou supérieure à six mois d'emprisonnement ferme.

The facility to hold multiple citizenship. I understand that one has to relinquish any other citizenship in order to become a US citizen. It used to be so for Australia too but (having an Aussie/Brit wife, no more). French and UK citizenship has no such limitation.

We're singing from the same hymn sheet, Véro. Just wonder where Florian got his info from...

Perhaps there are selfemployed (AutoEntrepeneur) non EU expats out there who can elaborate what we (soon to be) newly nonEU AEs might expect in terms of extra requirements, please? What did you need to do in order to setup as AE or equivalent?

Ah!! Thanks Patrick. I guess that with British, Irish and French there would be no problem.

As always concerning anything governmental, there's a lot of I was told/ my neighbour said/ I saw in the paper that... the only way to be sure is to go to the text (happens all the time in the Education Nationale!) :-)

In fact, before someone corrects me, it has been possible to have dual US citizenship since 1967 but it isn't easy apparently.

I had already started the process before the referendum, we have been here for ten years but the paperwork is pretty onerous especially when the prefecture sends it back with requests for more information that wasn't on the original form Oh well !

I´m French (John), my wife (Kate) is English, we got married in South Africa 20 years ago but never got our marriage transcribed on to the ¨actes d'état civil français¨ because Pretoria has always been unable to find and produce our original mariage certificate. Kate however (God knows how) managed to have a british passport issued in my name. This is not sufficient proof that we are married. The french embassy in Johannesburg doesn´t want to know anything about registering us unless we can produce the original mariage certificate, eventhough we have certified copies of it (certified true copies by the Registrar himself) and can produce a letter written by the actual Magistrate of the village where we were married certifying that there are records at the Magistrate´s Office showing that we have been married 20 years ago. All that doesn´t suffice.

We have been living in France without any interuptions since about 8 years. My wife is now thinking about becoming a french citizen, but anywhere we turn, they want the ORIGINAL mariage certificate.

If anyone has an idea on how to go about doing that (without the @#*%!^ original mariage certificate), please, please, please, let us know.

We thought that since we are not recognised to be married as there are no records of it, then we could simply go to our local Mairie and get married (our friends are ready for a party). The problem is that Kate already has a passport in my name. That could look suspicious :)

John

Hi Helen,

This is most likely not for you but I think that the DELF B1 is no more required for the over 60s.

John