Will you be seeking French Citizenship?

Thanks Véronique, but unfortunately the page you are sharing is not available (temporary?) - John

try here ;-)

...even more intriguing is the idea that scotland might try to stay in the e.u. and quit england, tho i never thought that was a good idea before. i am lonely out here as i am american married to a scot (in scotland) in 2000; i moved here in '98. both now over 60; i am fluent in french and he is not bad BUT was just diagnosed w a form of dementia due to alcoholism (hello uk??)...

as all 4 of his grandparents were irish, i also heard it might be possible to get irish citizenship to stay in the e.u.; anything must be easier than getting fr citizenship, no?? anyone know about the irish route?? also, i am reeling from 1st seeing my husband so sick, then feeling v sick myself due to trump, and now staggering under the brexit vote and, sorry to say, seeing how many idiots and liars there are out there...and rampant racists coming out from under their rocks! i do NOT like everything in france (was forced to lv the usa as i cd not then get health insurance) so it was a practical thing. however, when we got engaged i told my fiance i wd NOT move to the uk/scotland under any circumstances! it was here or no where. i used to love a lot about the uk but there is so little left to love, imho...

For anyone considering completing the paparwork, it is a long and lengthy process. I was asked all the certificates it requires on the forms and most of them had to be translated too. Fortunately computerised records in the UK did make obtaining copies of things easier but wasn't cheap. You really have to want to do this. As one or two other contributors have said, there are also a number of interviews and the paperwork is dealt with both locally where its approved, and Paris. Fortunately being over 60, I didn't need a formal qualification for my spoken French but all the interviews were conducted in the language. I was lucky with the gendarmerie as they just called in unexpectedly one afternoon for an informal chat. Every district different again! I had to show sufficient resources to keep myself but they did use my husband's income too as a combined figure. We only had income from pensions but this was considered to enough so obviously the requirement ( I never saw exactly what that might be) is not too high.

I began my application in October 2013 and received my acceptance in March 2016. AS my application was relatively recent, I thought this info might help someone considering doing the same. The forms to start the process are kept at your local mairie. The list of accompanying documents is held there too. As I said previously, it is daunting and certainly here in the Charente, they required everything so there were no short cuts! If you don't have something or can't get it, it may not be worth starting the process. Fortunately I was able to provide everything and the outcome was Nationalitie Francaise. (Actually I opted for dual! You can still keep your British nationality if you want)

Agree, Karen, I've gone back to the file countless times over the years but the amount of paperwork is daunting and as, I work more than full time and have a young family, until now, getting the nationalité française stamp has taken a back seat and to be honest it will continue to do so hoping that teh Vienna treaty will mean I keep all my rights here (I have worked here for over 10 years, run a small business and employ people (french of course!), OH and kids are French too)

If I recall, from picking up the application form which was date stamped, it clearly stated at the top that it must not be submitted for at least three months. I queried this at the time and was informed that because there is so much paperwork to amass, the applicant is forced to give him/herself sufficient time; Then after queueing at the préfecture since 0400 and finally being ushered in at 0830, the first thing to be checked was the date. By the end of the day, at least 12 of the 20 who had been allowed through, were sent away as their dossiers were incomplete.

I thought one could download the forms from the internet - French govt site. Do you then take those forms to the mairie for stamping?

I don't know Elizabeth, quite likely as so much has changed since 2007 when I collected my form. I do believe that now one submits the completed dossier at the prefecture by appointment, rather than having to stand in a queue as I did.

Yes you can download them but where you take them depends on where you live; in the Midi-Pyrénées everything has been grouped in one centre where you have to make an appointment. Nothing goes via mairie or préfecture anymore, you have to go direct to the regional immigration centre!

I know I have to take mine to Bordeaux. Haven't been to Bordeaux for years.

I won't be naturalised for 2 and a half years. But I did have an Northern Irish father (but born before partition), so an Irish passport for me should be possible (except, he had the right to Irish citizenship but didn't take it up). Worth pursuing if that will also help my Aussie/British wife to also continue living and working here?

Neat bit of publicité there, Andrew! I might just have to come to Carmaux, just for the pleasure of buying timbres fiscaux chez vous!

Do you know if there is a time that has to elapse before I can apply for French citizenship? I've been resident for 3 years.

ever the commerçant ;-) Unfortunately you need to have lived in France permanantly for atleast 5 years before submitting the dossier:

Durée de résidence

Vous devez justifier d'une résidence habituelle en France pendant les 5 années qui précèdent le dépôt de votre demande, sauf exception (réduction ou dispense).

2.5 years - have they given you a date, Patrick, or do you have to wait 2.5 years before you can apply (and then wait a year or two...?!)

I was going to ask the same question Andrew.

Patrick is just down the road from me and so will have to go through Limoges which is currently experiencing a wait of between two and two and a half years apparently. Limoges has an increasing ethnic influx and the system is straining a bit !

As it is everywhere, Peter, I think the processings times will hit the three year mark or more if brits apply too :-O

Angela Merkel has said there will be no negotiations with the UK until the UK submits the Article 50 Notice and starts the process of formal withdrawal, thus taking away any leverage from UK. Hard ball on both sides but UK rendered impotent. Difficult one unless the UK waits to see what Scotland and NI do and use that as an excuse not to press the exit button.

I've downloaded the form but can't see anywhere where you can say you want to keep your original nationality. I do want to stay British, whatever that turns out to mean. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I think I'm suffering from formulaire blindness!

Can you provide a link to where the form is please Amanda?

Here's the link :

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_12753.do