Wise card and Google Pay

Got too cocky and tried to add train tickets, and exhibition tickets for upcoming trip but all the options are american transport companies. So back to paper again. Short but sweet foray into 21st century.

1 Like

OK I use the word photograph loosely - so put your store card in the frame and scan it.

I said nothing about photographing tickets. Only that tickets can be held in the wallet. They use a different process.

I only tried to help. Apologies for trying.

1 Like

just ‘add to wallet’ for the store cards

It scans the information on the credit/debit card Adam, that’s card number and expiry date (you add the number on the back afterwards) store cards don’t have that infirmation, some there is nothing to scan.

Where’s the add to wallet button?

Hello John, On my Android phone I click Google wallet, the add to wallet is at the bottom of the screen.
BW

If you bought them via sncf, then you should be able to store them and then display them in the sncf app.

Wot I do.

Good thought. Will add the app.

OK, Android. But, being a bit mischievous, does that mean Google knows where you’re going :thinking::face_with_hand_over_mouth: I think Google sucks every bit of information from Google accounts. That’s their business :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.sncf-connect.com/outils/cartes-wallet

(rant alert) Paypal are also money-grabbing barstewards… I get my (fairly meagre) royalties from sales of stock photography paid into my PayPal account in US dollars. PayPal’s exchange rate is iniquitous compared to Wise, Revolut etc, but PayPal refuse to let me link my PayPal account to my Wise account and transfer the money still in dollars - I can only do it if I allow PayPal to first convert the money into UK Pounds.

And Adobe won’t pay out in anything but dollars any more, nor will they pay out to a bank account (even one like Wise which has a US physical address and US ACH etc.) only to rip-off merchants such as PayPal, Skrill and Payoneer. I used Payoneer for a while as their fees were slightly lower than PP but they are now introducing a $30 a year fee which removes the slight advantage they had.

(rant over)

Why are you not putting the royalties straight into Wise and not via Paypal?

On Adobe wondering if Google Wallet / Apple accept credits.

Because Adobe won’t let me do it - they will only send royalty payments to PayPal, Payoneer or Skrill. They refuse to pay out to bank accounts of any kind - I’ve told them it’s inconvenient and costly but they won’t budge.

It was less of a problem when they used to make payouts in UK Pounds, as I could withdraw those from PayPal to my UK bank account at no cost. But about a year ago they switched to paying everyone only in US Dollars. Essentially they’ve passed the cost of currency conversion to their suppliers. For US photographers it makes no difference, but for everyone else it’s a new overhead.

PayPal will only let me withdraw money to a UK bank (i.e. an account with a UK sort code) or a debit card denominated in UK Pounds - Wise’s US dollar account has a US ACH which PayPal won’t let me use. Once upon a time, if you phoned PayPal’s customer service they would set up a Wise account as a withdrawal option for you, but they’ve now barred that - I called them and they said no.

If they will only let you withdraw to a UK account, will they let you “pay” into a US account? I don’t use paypal much, but I recall having money sitting in it as I knew I was going to be invoiced for something. So if Wise requests a payment in dollars from your paypal account might that work?

Yes you can pay someone in dollars from a UK PayPal account, but the money has to go to another PayPal account - I don’t think they will let you send money to a normal bank account unless you are “withdrawing” the money to your own bank account - and that can only happen in dollars if you are a US resident with a genuine US bank account - you have to give them a US mailing address, phone number and (this is the major obstacle) a US social security number.

But I have a wise account with UK IBAN and so on?

Yes so do I - and a Wise Euro account with a Euro IBAN (Brussels) and a Wise Dollar account with a US ACH.

The problem with PayPal is that it will only let you withdraw money into an account that matches your currency of residence - in my case UK Pounds.

So I cannot add my Wise DOLLAR or EURO accounts to PayPal as my “withdrawal” bank accounts, because they do not have a UK sort code and account number. It would accept my Wise UK Pound account sort code etc., but then it will automatically convert the dollar balance into UK Pounds, at PayPal’s default exchange rate. Similarly it will accept my Wise debit card number as a withdrawal recipient, but again only with an automatic currency conversion into UK Pounds.

The root problem is that PayPal will not under any circumstances let you withdraw money in any currency other than your “home” currency, in my case GB pounds.

Sure I could send dollars to someone else with a dollar PayPal account, but I cannot set up one of those for myself without a US social security number.

They have basically ringfenced PayPal accounts to force you to use PayPal as your currency converter.

What a pain! Need a helpful American friend to launder the funds…

1 Like

Hmm…interesting. I use PayPal and have cards in both USD and Euro as well as my french bank registered. So far I haven’t tried to add my US bank since I have the credit card. And depending on where I’m sending money or buying something I use the relevant bank or credit card.