Wobbly dog

Does anyone have any experience of treating a dog (or other animal) that has developed wobbly legs? Our epagneul breton, Bouba, started, some while ago, to gaze mindlessly before allowing one or more legs to collapse or cross over. Mostly this happened after getting up from his bed but now it even happens out on walks. Our vet has dismissed the problem concentrating, since last April, on his kidney issues. He is 15y 8m. We think it is a deterioration in his nervous system perhaps as he also is losing the reflex reaction to turn his foot upwards if it is bent under.
Hoping there might be a vet or owner with previous knowledge on this to give advice.

It could be linked to a spinal issue. If he is otherwise in good health you could have a scan done. But at his age you may not want him to have a general anaesthetic.

Good luck I hope it isn’t anything serious.

Kind wishes.

I would agree with almond, given his age @Katy_Perrin. Would you consider a vet who is an osteopath or an acupuncturist? If you google you will find some in your area. There are increasing numbers of vets embracing complimentary therapies who may have a more sympathetic approach and be able to give support to what you “normal” vet is doing.

Thank you for your speedy response. As you suppose, we wouldn’t want him to have a general anaesthetic. Our vet doesn’t even think he should put up with standard vaccines, rabies etc.

That’s an interesting suggestion and I’ll do the research. His spirit is so strong and joie de vivre but hearing him collapse into his food bowl is very disturbing!

I know - we have the same with our 12 year-old Airedale. I found a very good acupuncturist vet in Bordeaux who has supported Vita over the last 2 years.
If you find a good osteo vet it may well be worth talking to them about a frame on wheels to support his back legs. Friends of ours had one of these for their dog who still had much life in him and it was a great help.

Thanks again. We are in Haute Savoie (French Alps). Sadly it is not just one pair of legs that is the problem, any one of them can decide to go wayward. His head also bobs when lying at rest, observing the passing ‘traffic’.

Edie used to do one clinic a month for dogs, but seems to have vanished from his website…

Depending on which side of Haute Savoie you are this might be worth asking about

https://www.physiosteo.net/

1 Like

A quick note to say that, although our vet recommended an osteo not too far away we decided against.
We took the difficult decision on Tues 1/3/22 to end his life. He had a long and very full life and we have all those years of memories. RIP Bouba.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your loss :cry: , while never an easy decision to make it is better for them that they won’t suffer any more.

@Katy_Perrin :hugs: :hugs:

Condolences, it’s always awful even when one knows it’s the kindest thing

Dittoing others comments and sending you a virtual hug x