Women expats and immigrants, in rural France

Of course circumstances change - especially health, as you mention.

I often feel that we bit off just a little more than we could chew when we bought the house - it’s a bit of a challenge to do the DIY and garden when we only have about 25-30 days a year annual leave in which to visit.

But, at the moment, I’m happy with that - we know that any bigger would have been impossible so we shouldn’t be sitting around wondering “could we have had somewhere with a bit more land/a bit more space” - we know the answer! :slight_smile:

1 Like

But people have different criteria and aspirations in life. I’m not ready to move into a one bedroom bungalow with a patio just yet! Throughout my adult life I’ve moved house every 5-10 years or so, and I fully expect to do so at least once more. We knew our current house would be unlikely to be suitable for 80 year olds, but wanted to enjoy having space and projects until then. And then pass on a beautifully restored house and garden to someone else…

So far having space and a project has also kept us fit…so may have given us extra years of healthy living as well?

2 Likes

Absolutely Jane.
Our garden is getting a bit too much for Jim, but then he opened up more from the field.
What do people do but vegetate if they have no interest?
Houses without bookshelves, no workshop or craft room.
Not the sort of life for us at all.

4 Likes

Nor me but I managed to find a half way purchase that allows me to live in a beautiful village in a 2 bed house that has massive rooms and a walled garden but if I need to I have organised that I can live on the ground floor only so can enjoy it until I need to be put out to pasture

That happened to a lady I knew as well. Her husband died and she felt stranded. Her French was limited even after 10+ years of living here, the village helped as much as they could but her family were in the UK and she just had to go back. It was really sad, they had made so few friends during this time but had a great life until he passed away!

Men as well as women in rural France seem to find salvation by visiting the drinks cupboard in the early evening before enjoying the fruits of the region.
Did you drink much when you were younger ,

Pints then.

2 Likes

a delicate subject for so many

I drink buckets… of tea and coffee. And water or lovely salty lassi. Practically no fruit juice or alcohol or fizzy drinks or mixers though.

I do like a tipple! Usually white wine sprizter with lots of ice and fizzy water. A glass of red by the fire is nice too. Not keen on anything stronger.

I do wonder why some people on here seem over concerned by what others drink

3 Likes

Almost the same, but no tea, I must find a recipe for a dairy free lassi :milk_glass:

Maybe using soya yoghurt? I don’t know what the texture would be like but presumably whizzed up with salt ice pepper etc it would be good :blush:

I also wonder that, the comment seemed a bit out fo the blue as well! it is true some people drink too much (and tbh I do!) but each to their own!

1 Like

I suppose that I am interested in this subject.
People drink alcohol for different reasons and have differing attitudes towards it.

I’ll drink to that !

2 Likes

Early start Peter or just the norm in the Bird household? :grinning:

1 Like

I can confirm that a glug of Grand Marnier in a mug of hot chocolate… is absolutely delicious. :hugs:

1 Like

sounds good

Name them :grin: