Wood burners are a danger to health

I agree, I wouldn’t be happy with the end result. The company she used are the main installers in the area and are long-established and well-respected artisans so I would assume they are well aware of the regulations. She’s an elderly single lady and not in a position to pursue any sort of legal battle. I just hope her health isn’t being compromised in any way

I would also question if the combustion was working properly as a first move.
Young things at University always want to make their names and the media will also push anything that gets readership. Not all burners are the same so wrong to condem an entire heating segment for what a few fires produce. I have said it before the Burley stoves are brilliant. When DEFRA tested them they got such low readings they got another meter to test if the first was working properly. The crap end of the market sould be given a year to get better or get stopped. Then lighting the fire with the top down method to avoid unnecessary door opening.

2 Likes

I bought a very cheap & basic woodburner from the local Weldom store in 2002.
It’s worked perfectly well all that time; I’ve not suffered from any breathing problems in all that time.
My house is a traditional stone built draughty old dump ; partially insulated & double glazed.
My own opinion is that it’s probably far worse being cold than having a bit of wood smoke in the house…
How on earth did the species survive before those in charge started telling us about all the things that are killing us ?!

1 Like

Died at 40.

1 Like

But we’re still here

And I’m 56

In terms that is burns wood, they all do that but whilst it may not concern you yet a lot of these issues are accumulative. Because I am involved in monitoring air quality, I have a couple of testing units and when travel allows I shall be testing the air in the lounge.
I can say the report posted gave a figue of pm2.5 per m3 which I can say matches the amount in an average diesel car inside the cabin of 13ppm/m3 but in traffic this figure can double

Hi Jane, the black liner was a brave step for the time. The slate liners are gaining popularity in Italy. I do wish we had put heating coils in under the pools we have built for ground source heating. Now I am a UK person I doubt it will be possible now we have left the EU until I can apply for a CS

Blimey! How locked down are you?!!!

1 Like

I think our farting dog may break such equipment.

5 Likes

Haha, I meant from the UK to France but you probably guessed that :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Crikey, that does look like it was a big job. If you don’t mind me asking, and at the risk of derailing your thread, how long did it take to complete?

Can’t help thinking that there are far greater dangers to health than woodburners.
Maybe we should address those first.

1 Like

Is that the royal We :grin: of course Bob, the excess intake of sugar and carbohydrates should de9be tackled first.

1 Like

Perhaps the benefits of the outdoor exercise and fresh air involved in collecting, cutting, chopping, and carrying the logs outweighs the downside of a bit of air pollution inside from time to time.

4 Likes

We were taken to see one before we made our choice.
No brainer really, heat gain and no stupid Mediterranean blue in the Burgundian countryside.

2 Likes

About six months.

When you are asthmatic and it is in your living room, it is dangerous.
It was not my choice to have a front opener!

I’m sure it is Jane
But my question still remains “how have we survived thus far, when seemingly everything is now a danger to health & well being?”
The “died at 40” answer is meaningless, as when your name is called you have to go.
People have been burning wood for more than a few years now; so I’m not convinced it’s just recently become a danger to health.

1 Like

It feels like everything is now a danger to our health and we should be wrapped up in cotton wool when we are born and stay safe in our beds until we pop our clogs and get buried.

2 Likes

As I said a few posts back, it’s younglings trying to make a name for themselves. Many things pose a risk to health but no one does anything about them including governments.