Wood burners are a danger to health

People in the third world who cook with wood are affected in both their lungs and eyesight .
You are quite right it has always been a danger to health.

If you know you are in a sector of the population that is at risk, why ignore it?
That is what a large percentage of the elderly population have been doing and continue to do so avoiding Covid.

Our woodburner is old but a good make, heats the whole house well. However for the first year we had problems lighting it and often used to have a room full of smoke!! The first chimney sweep we arranged swept it but that didn’t make any difference, but this year we organised a different chimney sweep and were advised thatthe stove was OK but had been fitted by a “brico”, was incompletely fitted to the flexible liner, the liner was of the wrong type and the cap on the chimney needed replacing. Come the end of November the work was done and we havent had a problem since. In addition we have been given advice about buying and storing our wood (ie humidity, age and type of wood to buy).

We always bought seasoned wood.
The problem is just the same as with the particulates in diesel, you can’t seem them but they are there just the same.

1 Like

Not sure what that means, Godin are old, using the same castings for a 100 years but are not good because they lack a secondary burn for more complete combustion.

1 Like

Yes it is a Godin, maybe we will be changing it in a year or so.

Many people have no chimney at all in developing countries.

This now goes to show just how dangerous wood burners really are.
Obviously, burning green wood is just plain stupid, but the particulates from wood burners are really dangerous.

We now use this technique for burning wood in the stove to reduce particulates and smoke, Similar to Norwegian method.

I am not sure whether we have just landed lucky with the type of fire we have and the quality of our wood but I am lucky if I have to empty the ash pan every 6-7 days with it going 24/7 so complete a burn we have with it.
Our cottage is around 200 square meters and the fire and warm air system keeps the rooms between 19C for the bedrooms and 21-23C for the main living area, we only needed to back up the TV room which is furthest away with an oil radiator when it got down to -9C for two days.
Chuffed with it but will supliment it with the central heating system next year as collecting and cutting the wood has been a big effort this year.
Both myself and my partner have asthma and have not noticed any problems this winter with using the fire.

And I thought our house was enormous!

Stubby fingers time should have been 200 :face_with_hand_over_mouth: though by the time we are finished it wil be 460.

1 Like

But feeding the population on processed sugar based junk is also known to cause most if not all of the problems highlighted in that report. Earlier we discussed the emulsifier used to thicken cream and it is a known irritant to the gut but some people were not very concerned and excercised their right to injest whatever they want. Then we have hydrogenated transfats and how bad they are, do governments take any action on these matters? Has the all powerful EU banned any of them?
The planet is overcrowded how much longer do we want people to live?
I agree it does cause lower intelligence, just look at how many voted for Trump and others for Brexit.
Biggest issue is who paid for the research and why?
After all if the fire is for esthetic reasons only then a 4k tv can do fire really well.

1 Like

Would it be considered dangerous to add air vents in lounge ceiling (where log burner is) and then further vents in floor of our bedroom directly above lounge to let hot air from the lounge to warm our bedroom? The danger element could be carbon monoxide (we do have alarms).

I don’t see why not as the forced hot air system we have basically does the same off the hood and manifold on the chimney backed up by a fan which moves the hot air to the different rooms via very well insulated pipes and vents in each room.

My thought is you are removing a barrier to fire when opening up a ceiling like that. Considered doing similar years back but then rebuilt the chimney and changed the idea to similar to Colins’ way.

One of the logburners we had installed in 2019 leaves me with the feeling that we were ‘Volkswagen’ed’.

Long running model from and installed by an established and reputable French manufacturer, with a 7Flamme super eco rating. Bloody thing would not run cleanly unless the trap for the ash-tray was ajar. The screen was an absolute 'mare to clean.
After a few weeks we called up the shop to get them to check it over. The two installers took off a side panel and dismounted the little thermostatic air inlet flap.
Here there is the air inlet about the size of a jam-jar neck. In the neck is a small plate that constricts the air entry to the diameter of an AA-AAA battery. It was held in place with 4 of the tiniest spot brazings. The installers took out an screwdriver, tapped the four brazings and removed the plate. Apparently the plate was a late addition to the model (presumably to get the 7Flamme rating) and everyone asks for it to be ‘un-modded’.
Now we’re very happy with it - it burns hot, econonomically & cleanly even if we turn it down for overnight running. It will spark up from just a couple of hot coals back into a real fire with a turn of the dial.
We love it but I can’t shake the feeling that we were ‘Volkswagen’ed’ on the 7Flamme rating.

Been saying it for ages on here, the French Flamme Verte is a joke, you see the old models re-labled.

Are people using cast iron stoves or stainless steel ? I have one of each that I’ve been left by previous owner who had planned to install a stove but never got round to it…

I do like the look of those Burley stoves though @Corona . I will make a note to chase up sometime Though wont be this year’s project.

My main one is all cast iron but our other (which is actually a bigger kw)has a mix of steel and cast iron.