Wood burners are a danger to health

I have a pellet burner that heats the whole house using the original cast iron radiators. It wasn’t really that expensive, (somewhere in the region of 3000€), but I find it easy to manage and a lot cleaner than the wood burner I previously had in my rented accommodation. My house is on three floors and as I basically gutted it, very well insulated.
I used to pay roughly 2000€in electricity per annum and 600€ for wood. The rental house was very badly insulated and most winters I would be lucky to have 16 degrees downstairs near the fire and 10 degrees upstairs. I would add that I only used 3 of the 6 electric radiators as that already cost a fortune.
3 years after installing the pellet heater in my new/ old house, I pay 500€ for electricity per annum and between 350 and 450€ for my pellets, depending on when I buy them. Most importantly, it’s lovely and warm in my house and the pellet heater takes 5 minutes to clean twice a week.
I did have some black residue once, but it was because 10 or so bags of pellets had some damp in them. Now I bring up 10 bags at a time to make sure they are suitably dry before using them and I no longer have a problem.

1 Like

Morning Karen

We have a very large room that is heated by a Burley Wakerley 9112 wood burner.

Cannot recommend it too highly, very efficient burn, and heats whole room inside 30 mins.

We also have 2 electric radiators in the room and have never used them

Andy

2 Likes

What’s the make / model please? We are thinking about pellet burners too :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have a Burley also - fantastic stoves

1 Like

Poêle Granule DEVILLE LIGNE HPV TANGARA HA6
I went back to the original quote to find it. It was 2167€ HT so slightly less than 3000€TTC.
With this model, they calculate the size you need according to your space. So I have 80sq m to give you an idea of how much you’d have to pay.

Thanks @Mat_Davies @andyw and others.

Are Burleys obtainable in France? I took a look and it looks like their dual pellet / wood models would be worth taking a serious look at. I’m in 46 - but used to travelling for things.

Would someone who didn’t know the make definitely install them properly, I wonder.

I found a shop in France via the Burley website.

This is where we bought it from Link. Nicky who owns the shop is English so communication was easy.

The shop is located here:

https://goo.gl/maps/bADRwnTVxNDXqtvh6

Colin I am guessing you having your fire on 24/7 would be helping with low ash? as you would always have a hot burn?

Like John if you’re 10 million packed into a city I can see why even the tiniest decrease in air particles multiplied over that population is worth it. Rurally not so sure. A bit like curfew really - it actually seems to concentrate people’s minglings here as shorter hours whereas we weren’t concentrated before. I suppose it’s as the whole country must support Paris?

Thanks @Mat_Davies . Bookmarked - likely to be next year’s project if still legal then? I have saved your name to mention for contacting them hope that is OK.

They are about 2 and a half hours from me I will have to see how installation works.