Wooden window frames varnish, oil or paint?

Hi I have decided on wooden window frames to fit in my stonehouse in Southern France, and got an offer for varnished oak. ( shockingly expensive), Its a 5 year warranty, but painted has 12 yrs. Warranty. Im not superhappy with the varnish look and worry that maintenance is a big task after some years with sanding etc. I wonder if there is another finish that will look good and doesnt require a lot of maintenance? I have read about some oils, but Its difficult to navigate the jungle of advice and experiences. If I decide on painted frames, do I have to buy expensive oak? Are there any other wood that is good ? Cheers.

Painting over oak is a big waste of time and money. Oak should last decades if given the right regular maintenance. Some form of proofing oil. I’ll ask a DK civil engineer pal who spends far too much money buying wooden boats and has just finished building a timber house with his own hands. The Scandis know about dealing with timber.

There are alternatives to oak. Red cedar is used for good quality ‘outdoor’ buildings - sheds, garages and the like. That too does not need painting but suitable maintenance treatments.

Another pal spent thousands having lots of window renewed in his country house - edge of Exmoor = lots of weather. I will ask him what the timber was for the new windows.

Good quality ‘softwoods’ [which are not necessarily actually ‘soft’] would be best painted. I used Sandtex on a new front door facing south, getting all the sun and most of the weather.

Seven years later, when I came to tittivate my Bristol house for sale, I reckoned the front door - you only get one chance to make a first impression - would need a going-over, probably a rub down and a fresh coat of paint.

I was amazed to find, after washing it down with soapy water, that the finish was pretty much as new. Not a flake. Not a crack … My italics.

The Sandtex 10 Year Exterior Satin Paint provides a soft sheen finish for exterior wood, metal and PVCu. Tough and waterproof, the flexible formula resists cracking and comes with a 10 year guarantee, making this paint sure to stand the test of time. Features a soft, low sheen finish.

I don’t know if this is available in FR but it would certainly be my choice for any exterior painting of wood.

If you do paint, if the windows face south you will get more life out of the paint and the timber if painted white.

2 Likes

My advice for what its worth:

Softwoods - Sandtex Exterior as suggested by @captainendeavour

Hardwoods - Fiddes Exterior Wood oil

1 Like

Look at the Sikkens range as well, they have UV protection in their formula as timber gets aged by the suns UV. the natural oils in oak protect for a good long time but yes expensive.

2 Likes

Remakably, considering, I have had a prompt reply from my friend who had new windows in his Exmoor house - Sapele.

I saw then being fitted. They were not painted so I presume the window co treated them before installation.

1 Like

Perhaps consider iroko? Probably best untreated or oiled rather than painted.

2 Likes

There is quite a list like Luan or Meranti etc but it must surely depend on what the carpenters or machine shops have available.
Osma is another finish that protects timber by blocking UV.

When I started work in 1970 as an apprentice carpenter and joiner many kitchens were very basic on the council estates where I worked, Belfast sink and draining board. In the workshop I quickly learned how to make iroko draining boards which were fitted alongside the Belfast sink. The Iroko was untreated and replaced a similar untreated Iroko board that had been scrubbed with soap and water over many years and still serviceable, just a bit thinner.
Iroko was also the timber of choice for lorry trailer flat beds, hard wearing and again untreated.
Not sure I would use it for window manufacture as Iroko does have a tendency to bleed.

1 Like

He gives oak a big :+1: If the cost comes in budget, no problem choosing oak. The R.N. did for centuries.

Heart of oak are our ships, heart of oak are our men, we always are ready, steady boys steady etc etc

Iroko is the marine alternative now to teak, which is an ‘endangered species’. Excellent timber.

I don’t know if elm is available these days but it used to be used for the piles for jetties because it doesn’t rot, even standing in seawater.

1 Like

Quick! Buy this tree! Beautiful straight trunk and main branch.