Would you return to the UK?

Never say never…

1 Like

Cremation for me and then scattered to the winds …

1 Like

The USA and New Zealand but because of the distances from grandparents etc my wife wasn’t keen, my choice would have been New Zealand.

We talked about Canada early in our marriage… but we both had parents/relatives who needed our support… so we stayed put.

We had to wait a long time to do our own thing… :hugs:

My parents wanted to emmigrate to Australia under the £10 assisted passage scheme, but their families made so many objections that they dropped the idea !

Mine wanted to be £10 poms too. Late 60s I think. Dads family ties were too strong. 2 of my grandmothers sisters went out there in the 20s.
Would I go back to the uk? As has been mentioned, never say never but with this miserable winter I’d rather head in a southerly direction, somewhere warmer.

my thoughts too but family here (french) can’t seem to accept the idea!

as for moving back, oh and kids are French and our lives, business etc. everything in fact is here. Would like to go for a while, perhaps a year, so the kids can experience the uk and learn English but that would be difficult with Brexit etc. plus business and school etc.

I think timing has a lot to do with people’s decision whether to move or not. We had a one year window before the eldest started GCSE’s and couldn’t move until our main house sold so if this had taken longer than it did we would have stayed in the UK probably until the kids had all left school and Uni. No matter what happens from now it was the correct descision to come here so we have no regrets.

Indeed, a lot of it is down to circumstances. There are times in your life you have to put others first. In my 20s and 30s there was always a reason why not, a job or a relationship I didn’t want to leave and couldn’t take with me. Then in my 40s I wanted to stay close to my mum who was gradually starting to develop Alzheimers and had she still been alive I wouldn’t be here. Mind you that would have put her well over 100 by now!

Having lived in rural Wales I’m sure you would find it wetter. Nothing quite like Welsh rain.

1 Like

I have previously lived in rural Wales (Gwynedd then Ceredigion) and I still visit there regularly, which is why I’m pretty confident I’d be OK there - only problem is the language, I don’t understand what’s going on round me :laughing: - and you’re not wrong, Welsh rain is wet wet wet.

Malta perhaps?

1 Like

My French friend from London lives near La Teste and has 2 sons
living in London.
She talks of returning to UK to every thing she left behind in London.
The beautiful country pubs and the great shopping of London.
But London is more violent than ever and the medical service in tatters.
Not sure that they could possibly manage the desperation to get appointments and
treatment…as you get older it gets harder.
Apart from the paper work every thing is great…like it was in Notting Hill Gate.

1 Like

Not even in a box Ann :grin:

3 Likes

Short answer - yes.

Would we even be welcome Timothy?
We are looked upon as traitors by a goodly percentage of the population and the appalling attitude of the Home Office makes me want to avoid making it my home.

1 Like

Why Tim?
Because of family ?
Are you missing UK?
Do you think that France is not offering you the same prospects in life as UK
could?

No Bill, not even in a M&S shopping bag :rofl:

3 Likes

I find your posts on this subject patronizing. I have lived here 14 years, 10 with a frenchman and speak perfectly good current french. I agree totally with all “Knitters” comments and have experienced the same rude, arrogant, disinterested and totally uncaring “soin” from all the health “carers” I have had the misfortune to encounter. As for the general behaviour of the french I encounter in everyday life I can only say I hope they never have the misfortune to become “different” within their own blinkered society …

“rude, arrogant, disinterested and totally uncaring”,

Surely you mean UNinterested?
(DISinterested is how you want health care professionals to be.)

Patronising, moi? Probably.

6 Likes