Would you return to the UK?

I really do not see why you are taking objection to a factual statement. After all that is the whole point of a discussion forum surely? It would be rather boring if everyone had the same viewpoint. My intention was not to detract from this site and the value it offers to the community but simply to observe that like others it seems to feature the cyclical debate between the pro French and the pro UK clans.

I respect ‘Survive France’ and the work of the administrators although as with other sites I am somewhat confused as to why an entity with a stated aim of supporting ‘expats’ always features heavily the detrimental viewpoint of others. It is the same with another site I can think of. The object is not to make those of us who have chosen to live outside the UK feel ‘holier than thou’ or in any way superior but surely that clue is in the name of the site.

I have by now lost track of the number of times I have been estranged from various sites for defending the way of life I have chosen here among the French people and if this is to be yet another then so be it.

Returning to topic - like others I agree we can never say never but at present I would certainly not return to the UK to reside for many reasons. I return to visit family and friends and have an enjoyable time but am always glad to return to France. Personally I ceased to find South East England attractive to me a couple of decades back.

1 Like

It’s such a bugger when people say what you don’t want to hear! :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a much more rounded response, thanks.

1 Like

Just about every person on SF has a different view …sees things in a very different way to the next person…and will be managing and seeing their life from a totally different view point.
I continue to come back to this diverse arena just to see the variation of thoughts and to engage with these characters.

1 Like

wrong direction…I do not need to tell Barbara!

1 Like

Online talking to yourself! :slight_smile:

Okay…no problem.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

of course!

1 Like

Some folk choose to return for a variety of reasons, I haven’t been to the UK for years, and no desire to. Except, I would if my Wife (French), expressed a desire to visit the Lakes where I grew up, and SW Scotland where I lived for 25yrs, but so far She hasn’t, which suits me, I’ve far to much to see here :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There is so much to see here and of course going back to the places which we have discovered and love.

1 Like

Well said, I totally agree having put my 2 children through school here. Rigid, rigid, rigid, ce n’est pas normale !!!

1 Like

Surely you mean it’s not your normal. It always amazes me when people take something they find strange, attribute it to the whole nation then condem it.

1 Like

i didn’t try to escape UK in fact i met a fella when i was on holiday in gay Paris, and 53 years later we are still together for better and for worse, more the better than the worse. in these hard times we are "clinging "together looking after each other.

10 Likes

We lived in France for a number of years and enjoyed it very much. we always knew we would come back, I never wanted to die in France, or any other country. We are now back in the UK, a bit sooner than we would have liked due, in part, to the too rapid sale of our house. I, too, get annoyed about people who write about “what the UK has become”. Often, it appears, people who don’t live there but have anecdotal evidence. The French Health Service was excellent, the NHS can’t compete with it, but doesn’t burn up the money like the French system; even so, I still read about people dying on hospital trollies in France. I think most of you living in France do so in quiet rural spots, but if you follow the French media, you will know that there are some pretty horrendous things going on. “London is so violent” somebody wrote. How about Toulouse,? Goodness knows how many cars have been burnt out there this last week.

2 Likes

Ronald, how dare you say that! The rule on expat forums like this is everything about France good, everything about UK bad. Some people!:grinning:

1 Like

If that’s the case why do so many posts moan about the way that so many everyday things in France are wrong?

2 Likes

Quote …" I never wanted to die in France, or any other country".
Well sorry to say Ronald that we all have to die in in some country ! :wink:
It’s not where you die that matters, it’s where you live and are happy !
Oh and as an aside they were cars that were burnt in Toulouse, I don’t remember there being stabbings and deaths there like in the ‘new murder capital of Europe’ !

3 Likes

You’re kidding right? Wastage within the NHS is well documented - a quick Google should sort you out :-:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You need to start reading La Dépêche, and London a bit bigger than Toulouse.

Yes, I suppose I might avoid dying in another country if I go at sea or in the air!

It’s a comic!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: