Writing Courses - Recommendations

Hi and welcome everyone to our new Writers, Bloggers and Translators group. I thought it might be useful if we all could place any recommendations for writing courses here. Short courses, residential courses, on-line courses, distance learning - please feel free to share your experiences. Maybe you run writing courses yourself, please tell us about them.

To start us all off I thought I’d share a course I’m going on this Friday. It’s a 4 day writing course on Autobiographical Writing. It’s being run by a very nice lady called Sue Barber who recently published a book entitled “No Copy of the Script”. The book is about her early personal life and professional life as a Casting Director and I can thoroughly recommend it. I’ve heard really good things about her courses and I’m really looking forward to it - just what I need to help me get my book finished I think. Just thought I’d share with you all in case it’s of interested to anyone else out there. You can find details about the courses on offer on the website Alternative Literary Services I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the recommendation Vanessa. I just looked at their website and they seem to offer a wide range of courses and they give you the option to pay in installments which is handy.

I did the Writers Bureau article writing course last year, which really helped me along. It’s basically an email correspondence course and you have a number of assigments marked by your dedicated tutor. They run a variety of courses - fiction and non-fiction. Like all these things, what you get out depends on the quality of your tutor and the effort you put in yourself. I think their courses are quite good value. Probably not as good as a residential course but a good second if you can’t afford the residential course fees.

Just finished the 4 day ‘Write first Time’ Course with Sue at Alternative Literary Services and can thoroughly recommend it for anyone thinking of writing a book about their life. It’s a good mix of theory and practice, lots of editing help and advice and some wonderful food. Excellent value for money. I’m off now to finish my book :slight_smile:

Thanks for the recommendations Lynne and Wendy. Keep them coming :slight_smile:

Here are a few more suggestions http://facilitutors.com/index.php?subject=Creative+Writing&type=dont+mind&dept=all&ch=8&search=Find+my+course! Please check the dates with the tutors.