Wrong side of the road

The lad’s family have stated they don’t have any bad intention towards this lady they just want her to face up to her responsibility.
I really think the lady herself needs to return to the UK for her own sake if only to accept the part she played and if sanctioned she can learn to deal with the event and carry on with her life.

7 Likes

I see it the same way, Mark, based on what I’ve read. But that doesn’t bring me into very close contact with other relevant facts that may come under closer consideration. For that reason, there must always be room for some scepticism. How much is a matter for debate.

I don’t disagree with that: in fact I’ve proposed it in my own comments.

I have questioned (1) Will she come back? and (b) Why did she seem to change her mind and leave the country after seeming to want to stay?

Answers proposed to (a) have been “she should” and " she must", and (perhaps) “Trump won’t let her”: but none of those answer the question I posed.

Answers to (b) have been speculative and questionable, including my own. I suggested she might be a coward, but I have no way of knowing if that’s the truth, a partial truth, or an unjust slur.

Because I can’t say beyond a doubt that cowardice and self-protection were the only reason, the main reason, or just a contributory factor. Can you?

All I can say is, whether there was coercion or not, I hope she can sleep at night because I certainly wouldn’t like to have that on my conscience.

1 Like

No conclusions are possible with regard to the morals/ethics/motives of Anne Sacoolas the driver of the car. She complied with police and then left the country by private jet. I reserve judgement until she is personally interviewed. Her husband employed with the intelligence department could mean any kind of coercion, including against her own family, so she may have had to make a very painful choice. Yes of course, errors are always possible, for everyone…but when you take out a potentially lethal weapon as a responsible, mindful person, and understand the dangers of inadequate attention, there can be no second opinion, no excuse. Anyone needing, or hoping for excuses …do not dare to drive.

2 Likes

I have read the many opinions of this tragic situation and much in depth analysis of this person’s mind following the incident and even those who have defended her actions and placed that blame on others who might have persuaded her to run from justice but:
When all is said and done she was the driver of a car that was involved in a fatal accident on a UK road and UK law requires that person to answer to their involvement in that incident.
She has since lied to the police by fleeing the country in spite of assurances to the contrary.
Anyone finding themselves in such a situation would be emotionally messed up but so be it. Using her diplomatic immunity status to escape the law is disgusting IMO and if justice does not prevail then I hope any guilt that she feels consumes her.
If she had nothing to fear and had done nothing wrong then why run away, if she was innocent before then she isn’t now.

6 Likes

:white_check_mark: Absolutely. Mea culpa

…BUT…none of those opinions and analyses include - the woman answering/speaking for herself? That’s not justice at all!
The woman is alive and capable of speaking for herself. I reserve all conclusion until I know what happened with regard to her change of commitment made to the police. Guessing/blaming/character assassination - all of that, belongs in rag dailies. I will decide when real information (real enough to convince me, not cooked by any other sources) is published.

1 Like

Actually her state of mind is irrelevant now: she has done something she shouldn’t have, presumably by accident; and she has done another thing she shouldn’t have, deliberately.
Those are the issues which need to be addressed, not her hypothetical state of mind.

11 Likes

Come on people!

This bitter little lemon is only half squeezed, to my mind.

For example, anyone like to reflect on what this case has to say about the special relationship?

The White House seems to have applied realpolitik to its judgement on how justice is best served, and there must be another pint or so of astringent juice yet to be extracted. Anyone up for a game of quid pro quo? :thinking:

Call me a shit-stirrer, I don’t mind! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok then @Peter_Goble
You’re a shit stirrer. Just don’t lick the spoon :laughing:

2 Likes

Wise advice for a novice, perhaps, but (like Rudy Giuliani, perhaps) I’ve acquired a sophisticated taste! :yum:

What about the state of mind of UK citizens who might have an “accident” driving on the wrong side of the road in the USA?

“What about the state of mind of UK citizens who might have an “accident” driving on the wrong side of the road in the USA?” @Jane_Williamson

You tell me, Jane. I’m all ears! :ear::ear:

I’m guessing Guantanamo?

Nothing works on presumptions, assumptions. I agree her state of mind is irrelevant. The only facts available are that she agreed to remain available for questioning, after being involved in/causing a terrible accident. And she did not do so.
Trump was talking about bringing the families together, but not sending the woman back to UK. I understand diplo. Immunity comes from the time of the cold war, when opposing sides might kill off diplomatic/ or other representatives, on insecure territory.
Ideally, there “should” …“could” be neutral territory,
where all disputes might be brought to unbiased justice.

1 Like

I guess this topic needs to go on the back burner, the heat switched off. I won’t be commenting further and thank all who contributed to the debate and may wish to continue to do so.

I occasionally browse year-old topics to get an off-the-boil perspective, a ‘long view’, and in a different climate of opinion, and in altered circumstances.

My thoughts will be with all concerned in the horrid affair, which will change so many precious lives for ever. May they be free of suffering and know true peace.

1 Like

That’s a shame I was enjoying getting a perspective different to mine

2 Likes

Me several times. There but for the grace of God.
This was an accident not a crime or a terrorist incident (unlike Manchester a few minutes ago).
Not sure what the purpose would be in bringing her back. Surely the Police have already taken statements at the time of the incident.
The US does have a policy of looking after their own, unlike our government hounding 70 years old soldiers who served in Ulster.

3 Likes

Apparently her husband was a spy. It is unclear whether she was also a spy. Perhaps she was encouraged to return to the US by their embassy to avoid a bigger issue?

1 Like

He can’t be a very good spy then if everyone knows he is one

5 Likes