Wrong side of the road

I guess that they will have to face the full wrath of the law.

2 Likes

I imagine they would be feeling twitchy because if involved in a traffic accident where they killed someone, their chances of being shot dead etc might be quite high. Certainly they would be a lot worse off than mrs skedaddle the supposed spy-spouse.

3 Likes

Well yes, presumption of innocence : that is why it is odd she should have scarpered, because all of a sudden the presumption of innocence starts looking a bit shaky, not that it would be in court.

5 Likes

Worse than “odd”,
I imagine the cops must have been convinced she was to be trusted. She broke at least one law, by trashing that trust? I think so. Yep. Guilty.
But I’m not guessing anything else. I will wait to discover the truth, of the rest of the story.

I can’t believe I am saying it, but I believe Johnson on this one. There is very little that anyone can do to make the US Government change its mind. It alone determines the jurisdiction of its nationals “from sea to shining sea”.

However, the UK Government IS in a position to initiate an international review of the provisions for diplomatic immunity which is no longer fit for purpose today ( and just mentioning the Julian Assange case I’m sure will get them American support).

Like I said earlier, the best that can come from the deplorable loss of this poor boy’s life, would be a real effort from those in power to change the immunity system by international agreement so that this kind of thing can never, never happen again. (Of course, I am well aware that reform of the diplomatic immunity regulations is unlikely to happen as long as those assigned to the task depend on it themselves for their tax exemptions).

Green ribbon for Harry.

I’m breaking my self-imposed purdah just to repeat the old, wise dictum that “Hard cases make bad laws”.

1 Like

I think we have all done it, with the same wipe of sweat from the brow at the possible consequences, especially those of us who skip between France and England. I don’t know if others feel the same but I find it so much easier getting used to driving in France than I do when I return to England. Does that make driving on the right more intuitive I wonder?

1 Like

…no…UK is a land full of roads for horses and carts, adjusted badly for articulated trucks, and too many humans. :smiley:

1 Like

I tend to agree, @anon78757855. English (if not all British roads) are much more congested, less well maintained, and more tortuous than those in France.

The consistent and clearly set-out road signage in France makes for safer and less stressful driving too.

I think this thoughtfully planned and maintained traffic environment makes all driving, and especially driving on the right, near the top of the list of things I love about France. :hugs:

2 Likes

…wait a bit, Pg…that first sentence confuses me…

1 Like

@Peter_Goble needs to remove “than” for it to make sense. :wink:

2 Likes

Or sub…‘more’ for ‘less’ twice? And ‘worse’ for ‘better’ once? It might be my brain…its polluted with turps and cocoa at the mo…

1 Like

@Peter_Goble… What’s happening…?

1 Like

I’ve just got back from the airport after seeing my wife off to England, so I’m a bit more addled than usual! Need that cup of tea I promised myself when I got home, and to give myself a jolly good Goble talking to as well! :joy:

2 Likes

Oh my…is it real tea!!!
. I must get some more cocoa. I don’t know what they make it with but it looks like athletes foot lotion.

That’ll be the tea? :thinking:

1 Like

:fearful: :joy: …no PG… My cocoa. Haven’t seen any tea for years.

@anon78757855 @Peter_Goble

Like I said last week…

4 Likes

What was that cat? Oh! You mean mindless chatter? :smile_cat: OK! Look at me, I’m quiet now.

Anyone shocked that 20k+ people who live in the UK have diplomatic immunity?