Xavier Bettel

According to tonight’s TV news he snuck into no.10 by the backdoor…
New nickname for BoJo - Invisible Hulk

One couldn’t make it up.

1 Like

Right now, the UK is behaving like a petulant self harming teenager sinking deeper and deeper into despair and at the point of committing suicide.
I want no further part in it.

It does make you so proud doesn’t it!

Yesterday’s pantomime is yet more evidence that the UK has to leave the EU before things turn really nasty. I’m hoping that common sense wins through and a deal is done so that everyone can get on with their lives rather than be in continual limbo.

Don’t hold your breath Tim. Cummings doesn’t want a deal because it will mean his paymasters will have to declare their off-shore accounts under EU law.

2 Likes

Pantomime is exactly what this is all becoming - all the more so as the incumbent in No 10 is better suited to the role of court jester rather than high office.

It is, however, pantomime with deadly intent and I do not see that one can jump from it to the conclusion that we should leave the EU hastily or without a deal - which might be to someone’s or some group’s advantage but not most of the population’s.

There must be so many pantomime examples that relate to Brexit…

The golden goose for a start.

The ugly sisters?

As Jo Swinson has said, it will only become policy if they become the government, which means that there is a majority in the country for it, under our present voting system.

Typical bully boy behaviour by Boris.
He can dish it out but when someone takes him on he complains.

Sorry - this is about the LibDem’s policy to stop Brexit rather than hold a further referendum - not Johnson’s unwillingness to hold the press conference yesterday.

Pausing to note that this is potentially another bit of dead cattery as we’re all talking about the fact that he didn’t turn out, rather than the fact he had nothing to say - yes, the logic is exactly as you described were the LibDems to be returned as the majority party (unlikely) there would be little point in running a referendum which would effectively be redundant.

One could argue, I suppose, that a vote for a candidate in a GE should cover more than one issue (however important that issues is) and that even if there is a total change in the balance between the parties and the LibDems were the largest it is still possible they would not be returned with a majority of the popular vote.

However it is, at least, a very clear position which is refreshing in itself against Tory lies and Labour vacillation.

This made me chuckle

3 Likes

If there is no Referendum, the sole subject of the election will more than likely again be Brexit.

Back to the aborted press conference. A suggestion is emerging that Johnson’s talks with Barnier and Junker did not go so well as they explained why his suggestions for removing the backstop are not sufficient - he was already in a strop and in no mood to speak to journalists anyway - the demonstrators just provided a convenient excuse

Not sure if this link needs $$ https://t.co/byl9eb4XGq

3 Likes

According to Junker this morning the meeting with Johnson went reasonably well and the word positive was used.

How very diplomatic! :grinning:

But he also said,
“I said to to Prime Minister Johnson that I had no emotional attachment the safety net, to the backstop, but I stated that I stand by the objectives that it is designed to achieve. That is why I called on the prime minister to come forward with operational proposals, in writing, for practical steps which would allow us to achieve those objectives. Now, until such time as those proposals have been presented, I will not be able to tell you, looking your straight in the eye, that any real progress has been achieved”

3 Likes