Xpatfone - does anyone have experience of this?

This looks interesting - curious to know what real-world experiences are like and if there are any serious issues. Also if there are other similar services.

I do realise that it uses an app and that it depends on a live broadband connection, either Wi-Fi or mobile data provided by a separate service.

Link? Nothing about it on your post.

2 Likes

My post was aimed at people who have experience of the service. But here’s a link:

I ported an expiring Three contract SIM a few months back to Xpatfone (the company name is Devyce).
So far no issues, it allowed me to keep my UK number and when in the house it uses the wifi and when out it uses my Sosh data.

It does sound ideal for my needs. I believe there is a trial mode - did you try that?

I did but only made one call, it was more to see that the app worked as expected with no issues. It’s a monthly contract so no major stress if it doesn’t live up to your expectations.

1 Like

A bit unnecessary

2 Likes

Not only unnecessary, John but I thought it was rude of @Vitesse and not at all in the spirit of the way most people on this board behave.

4 Likes

British understatement :wink:

@JohnH @_Brian I suspect I’m already guilty and sentenced in your eyes, but the plain fact is that I am very weary of people responding to my posts in a way that is unhelpful and often irrelevant to the question I asked.

I try to be helpful and to share knowledge, where relevant, but sometimes folks need to understand a post before responding to it.

No offence was meant, I was just pointing out that ‘Xpatfone’ could easily be searched and that my post was fishing for responses from people who had experience of the service.

Should I include a long-winded disclaimer and guidance notes every time I post?

1 Like

If a question is asked on a specific subject with out a link, then I imagine only people with genuine knowledge of subject matter will reply, this cuts out internet research know alls and massif thread drift.

1 Like

If I am reading you correctly, then, yes - exactly!

1 Like

Yes, you read correctly.
Sorry if my English isn’t up to par, English is pretty much a second language now a days.

1 Like

Indeed, but one could quite simply ignore the question rather than reply with passive aggressive snark.

I realise I’m in glass houses territory here but I generally delete my snark almost as soon as I’ve written it.

A bit unnecessarily snarky. Generally people share ideas too in case of use to others,

It didn’t occur to me that simply asking for a link is both unhelpful and irrelevant. Internet searches often bring up rubbish.

User profile muted.

4 Likes

Well, accusing someone of ‘snark’ (I assume it’s not a compliment) is definitely not polite, and a bit personal.

Please read my post again - I made no personal insults, I simply answered what was a rather terse response very precisely. Interpretation of my words in a negative fashion is, unfortunate.

Being asked a question and replying with a link on how to use a search engine is almost the dictionary definition of snark. And feigning ignorance of the concept is filling no one. I suspect I’ll be following Jane’s lead.

1 Like

Hand on heart, I do not know the meaning of the word ‘snark’. But it doesn’t sound very nice.

I’ve just come across a potential snag - Xpatfone relies on a third-party mobile data or WiFi connection. If I replace my BT Mobile sim with Xpatfone, I will need to be sure that my French Reglo sim supports data roaming in the UK and other countries I might be driving in because I use Waze for satnav. Currently, my Reglo sim doesn’t support data roaming in the UK by default (thanks Brexit…)

That’s funny. Data roaming worked for me when I was in the UK a year ago. I also have a Reglo SIM. I did have problems getting data in Italy in October, though.

1 Like