Your Favourite Paintings

This striking and bold 1960s architectural representation

which perhaps echoes @JaneJones’s great painting sits on the wall of our landing, and I’m always pleased with it, although as an act of civic vandalism the building was demolished so that ‘a more appropriate version’ could be built.

The Victorian Central Library that preceded both was a masterpiece of red brick and cast ironmongery; and hallowed ground when I was a schoolboy, and ‘ready’ to ask for access.

2 Likes

Very true about the “white”. Did you know about the Manet’s joke in the picture- the shadow of “la pie” is reversed.
This used to hang in the Musee d’Orsay in the same room as Manet’s Olympia - a real wow of a room, been there a few times but don’t know the current hanging.

2 Likes

Apologies Monet’s joke not Manet’s

Interesting to read about this guy, thank you. Astonishing output, and massive skill, though I could understand if , from the pictures I’ve seen, he isn’t taken very seriously? Is that true? I haven’t read enough to know, but my own feeling is that his work is too much about glamour and eye candy impact. You don’t think so?. I’d probably look at it all longer if/when he paints fewer perfectly formed, pouting popstar characters, and does some ugliness for a change. Its not that I think of ugly as attractive, or more important to “real art” (meaningless anyway!) but that I’m truly bored by the clamour to be inhumanly perfect, in any way. The same kind of objection I have, maybe, to the lifeless opulence of Trump Tower, that I would like to be erased from the Earth. Enjoyed reading everything and looking at his stuff, in spite of my negative comments.

1 Like