Your Favourite Paintings

Inspired by @Dan_Wood What has brightened your day? -ongoing thread - #401 by vero

There are many inspirational paintings traversing the centuries…
Please post yours and if you want to… tell us what you love and appreciate about it so much.

1 Like

I love the Wilton diptych, it has been ones of my favourites since I first beheld it as a tiny child (and I have coveted it since)

2 Likes

Please post it, so we can all see x

René Magritte
Part of the Dominion of Light collection.

Daytime or night? One of my favourites…

1 Like

2 Likes

Wow… it looks almost satanic, good versus evil? Is this a modern painting/painter Mark?

William Blake, one of his red dragon paintings.

1 Like

Oops sorry - here it is. It is in the National Gallery

The faces are fabulous, all different and with different expressions if you look. My 2nd daughter is in the back row with arms folded looking fed up :joy:.

3 Likes

monet

le Pie by Monet. It’s in the D’Orsay. I love it because although the snow looks white when you actually see the painting the " white " snow is anything but.

5 Likes

I have a print of le Pie hanging in my hallway in Carmaux!!!

It has always reminded me of a winter scene in the Wye Valley.

1 Like

“End of an Era” - The last train from Monmouth to Ross on Wye.

“Wye Valley walk in Winter”

2 Likes

My goodness -yes there is a resemblance. Who is the painter of the Wye Valley picture?

Mitch Griffiths work always moving and relevant - I love it.

MIT2

1 Like

A Mr Michael J Tunnicliffe… my father :wink::wink::wink:

He lives in the Wye Valley and paints local scenes and transport subjects.

1 Like

I can’t say I have a favourite painting. I can’t use the word “like” about paintings, it doesn’t fit my experience somehow.

I have never forgotten the impact this work of Lucian Freud’s had on me. It was my first visit to the original Tate Gallery in 1956 when I was 18. It’s a life-size canvas and I was thunder-struck by it. Freud is a genius IMO.

Title “Room in Paddington”.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Impossible to choose between the many magnificent works by great artists that I love to bits.

Instead this is the painting I have that would be the thing that I save in a fire (after husband and dog of course). Have to take photo at an angle as otherwise get reflection. It’s a painting by an artist called Hans Tisdall of the house where I was born -the ground floor flat that is dark red. He painted it for my mother instead of paying her bill (she was a dentist). Lucien Freud was another of her patients - briefly - but he didn’t pay his bill at all, and didn’t even give her a small sketch! (They were all near contemporaries)

3 Likes

That is a beautiful painting thanks for sharing

I remember the first time I saw Freud’s painting. It was an ra summer exhibition and I was struck dumb. The mixture of beauty and ugliness. Was fantastic. This was back in the eighties and I’d never heard of him. But those paintings stated in my head

2 Likes