Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 and on TV binge)

Yes, ‘The Missing’.

Just finished watching “Defending Jacob” on Netflix. Mini series of 8 episodes. Very powerful story, very well acted. Don’t know why the link is in German, the detail seems to be in English ok.

Intriguing gentle film starring Sydney Poitier aged 72 years. In the film he plays a lone 91-year-old master carpenter/joiner, but looks more like a 72-year-old…for a reason.

In the film big business is after his land for redevelopment and wants him certified as incapable of looking after himself to get what they want.

1 Like

The Golden Globes set out a few movies to consider.

If like me you are a Demi Moore fan, give her ‘The Substance’ a big wide miss. Absolute rubbish. I wouldhave expected her not to have to stoop to C movies.

Bank of Dave 2 is out on Netflix now. If you liked the first film, the second has the same appeal

I’m watching Schitts Creek, good if you like laughing at entitled people but american humour is way behind british.

I love Schitts Creek and I’m now watching it the second time around. Though, I don’t think that Trump has annexed Canada just yet.

I’m also quite enjoying Bad Sisters, a bit of a black comedy with Sharon Horgan, which then drove me to start watching Clan, the original Flemish series that it’s based on. That’s a whole lot darker, as you might imagine from the Flemish.

I loved the first Bank of Dave. The second one concerns a very important topic. I don’t have any experience of payday lenders but I note that they have ads on Channel 4. Absolute OC charlatans!

Watching the film I was intrigued to hear these American owned companies operate in UK, although banned in US, by exploiting a legal “loophole”. Loopholes do hurt other people!

1 Like

Bank of Dave, excellent!

Now someone needs to put an end to online gambling. I suspect that is where payday sharks switched to running.

It’s Canadian.
I see @JohnH made the same comment, just a bit more subtly.

Never heard of the ‘Beauty of Anamorphic Black and White’ before, despite this seven-year-old video.

I love movies & cinematography, and in particular, The Apartment, in anamorphic wide screen format, explained here.

Neither have I, but thank you anyway for that brief reunion with Shirley McClaine and those twinkling eyes. :joy: :rofl:

She was 26 years old, as here, when the film was made. She’s still with us at 90.

Shirley_MacLaine_-_1960

I love her in Steel Magnolias, one of my favourite films.

1 Like

I’ve been watching too many old films lately!

This is clearly a propaganda film, but a good one, about justice in 1939 America. Henry Fonda plays a cab driver wrongly convicted after a flawed ID parade. He is innocent but convicted to the electric chair. The law wasn’t interested in further evidence as to his innocence as the verdict had already been made and might show USA law to be flawed if aired. A timely film in some ways, albeit 80+ years later, about how perverse & unfair USA justice can be, or always has been, IMO.

If you enjoyed the Jason Bourne series of films, try The Night Agent on Netflix. I thoroughly enjoyed series one last year and this week, series two has hit the screen. Binge worthy with lots of twists and turns and just as good as series one.

2 Likes

Watched it a while ago - very good.

Just finished “The Diplomat” - it’s OK, a bit too implausible to call good though will probably try to catch the next series.

Currently waiting for

  • the next series of Andor
  • the next series of Bosch
  • the next series of Reacher
  • the next series of Stranger things
  • the next series of Wheel of Time
  • the next series of Slow Horses (but cheated by reading the book).

Too many of those will be the final outing for the show.

There’s House of The Dragon as well, but probably not for some time and ditto Rings of Power but will be watching more out of a sense of duty/morbid fascination. Might give the TV version of “Dune” a go.

1 Like

I like scifi, but found the Dune TV series a bit heavy going (bit like the obligatory books :no_mouth:).

Stranger Things - can’t wait for that. Got Nosferatu and Wicked to watch on TV this weekend.

Powerful performances by Sydney Poitier and Bobby Darin in a film set in 1942 in a US prison. Poitier plays a black prison psychiatrist and Darin plays the intelligent psychopathic prisoner under treatment.

Frank language spoken, of white Christian America, mental illness, black and Jewish racism, and Naziism.

A 1962 film where some scenes, and music, I thought were a bit over the top, but otherwise an intelligent thought-provoking film.