This was a very engaging series which passed on lots of health advice to Saga types like me in a very gentle way. My wife enjoyed it so much she has asked me to take her on my next trips.
Having fished that area before I am sure @MichaelL will love the area.
Yes definitely. Thanks for the link which I had missed. Another gentle series “with love at the heart”
I hardly dare post this, as Black Doves seems to be universally praised.
I fear for the world when the wholesale slaughter of dozens of people is viewed as “enjoyable” - when there are no repercussions for such behaviour, when the “production values” are wonderfully glossy and we become accepting of images of an attractive woman’s face covered in another human being’s blood.
That apart, I found the whole thing over-long and the plotting rather ludicrous. In fact I asked OH in the penultimate episode whether it was meant to be a comedy. I suspect much of it’s “appeal” is the number of women doing the killing - so PC these days - and that Ben (whom I loved in A Very English Scandal) and Keira are flavour of the month. And of course nothing was going to happen to them because it was obvious there was going to be another (and more) series.
Give me Slow Horses any time - or a good John le Carré. I much prefer the spying and murder I’m watching to be dirty, painful and with dire consequences.
A perfectly valid point, for the most part I ignore it - it’s a bit comic book anyway - but I quite agree that there is more than a passing risk of people becomming desensitised to violence.
By the way if Black Doves was too much do not, under any circumstances, watch “The Boys”
There is always that risk in a TV series made up of multiple episodes. I dislike Dickens for much the same reason (his work was originally serialised).
I got the impression it didn’t take itself too seriously.
Binge watching second series of Squid Games on Netflix. Shows how humans react when faced with death,treachery and survival of the fittest or cleverest. If you havn’t seen it, be warned there is a lot of blood and barbarity of the lowest kind!
I remember being anaesthetized with ether when I was about 7 or 8 years old to have my tonsils removed. But I didn’t know there is a film about the events & fights leading up to its use as a painkiller, so look no further than The Great Moment (1944), based on historical fact, for the dramatized Hollywood story of ether.
Joel McCrea plays Morton, a dentist credited with revolutionizing dentistry and surgery, and to whom we should all be truly grateful!
Very slightly silly, but an entertaining little film….
Started another suspense thriller series on Netflix last night - Departure. About the dept of transport accident investigation and finding out why a plane has disappeared over the Atlantic. Lots of skullduggery, double crossing and personal issues and I recommend it but like many other series, could have been done in less episodes.
Which is precisely why I have given up on all but complete films.
Last night I watched what is supposed to be the last ever episode of Vera. I know many can’t stand her and her accent but I will miss anything else to watch it. Very emotional, no spoilers, but I will say I simply loved the long legged scruffy white Lurcher in the story.
I think there are some 52 hours since the first episode and I am wondering how I can watch them all from the start. Many I have seen 2 or 3 times and they are always fresh to me.
Perhaps go to YT and search for episode 1 and follow on from there.
I got fed up of Vera, its on every day on my streaming service on two different channels and I can do catch up but it seems to be the same episodes over and over and then a new series for yet another prolonged period. Looking forward to the new revamped Bergerac coming soon.
Oh, wash your mouth out again! The scenery is wonderful and part of the charm.
Have recorded it, not watched it yet. Is it really the last? I thought they usually did 3 in each series?
I adore Vera, not least because it’s my kind of murder mystery - minimum gore, maximum detecting and lots of suspects. BB is just wonderful.
Looking forward to a new series of Silent Witness on BBC1 starting Monday then Tuesday from Monday 6th. More gore, but absolutely riveting - and love the back stories as well.
‘Bullet Train’ on Netflix will not be for you then. I generally turn away from gratuitous violence but somehow this film made me laugh. (Possibly the meds )
OH dear @Shiba you’ve certainly touched 2 nerves at least here, and my reasons are definitely the same as @SuePJ’s, the scenery was sublime last night, even Vera was overcome with it and was seen standing still in awe at one point.
It was advertised as being the last but all I will tell you. as I did say no spoilers, is that your guess is as good as mine. Although I was joking earlier I do think that much of it benefits from the main character and the skill of the actor playing her. But then I have always been a fan of Brenda Blethyn ever since I saw her as the downtrodden wife of a domineering captain of a village cricket team. Can’t remember what it was called but it did have other good actors such as Timothy Spall and others in it.
Mind you, I came to Vera after reading all the novels by Anne Cleeves and felt the same way about Shetland arriving via the same route. To my mind Shetland, like Vera, relied for its excellence on the main character and I have seen one or two episodes since the departure of Douglas Henshall and have not watched it since, his successors are sadly not of the same quality. I think I would feel the same about a Vera series with a different actor.
Regarding the writer of the books, I have read others of hers and imo they are not up to the standard of the above.
BTW there is a programme about the making of the series on ITV tonight at 9 I think. If you plan to watch it, maybe watch last night’s first in case they give something away. Or avoid and record.
Just finished watching first series of Baptiste. My missus swears we’ve watched it before but I couldn’t remember the ending. Realise it’s old now, but we never watched the 2nd series so thought it best to start from the beginning.
… Although I now realise there was a series before Baptiste, so maybe we should watch that before watching more Baptiste.
Oh, and also got the Count of Monte Cristo to watch too at some point.
To me, that is the very best result of ageing. Many programmes I love I have seen several times before, but I enjoy them over and over again because I never remember the ending. V is a case in point.
Well I watched the farewell documentary about Vera and nothing unexpected, lots of congratulations all round, but with one exception. The actor Kenny Doughty who played her sergeant for 10 of the 14 years, bookended by the chap she started and finished with.
He was not mentioned by name, was shown in two very short scenes, and was not interviewed at all. Very strange. I suppose he has moved on to pastures new as they say, but for such a long serving actor to be ignored like that. Hmm.