Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 TV binge)

‘Kin’ - an Irish production on BBC iplayer. 2 seasons. Good cast and good acting overall. Story is about two rival drug families. Second series maybe a tad over the top violent.

If you like binge watching, then ideal!

A very wise decision. I find the TGV wifi is ok for some light things, eg sending email, browsing, etc… but unreliable for streaming things continuously. Made that mistake before, now I always do like you and download stuff for offline viewing (I shall be watching a Channel 4 documentary on Alexey Navalny during my train journey later today).

1 Like

Blimey, there’s a blast from the past… Although I can still remember the theme music.

It used to be on at my bedtime so I only rarely got to see any of it. Perhaps I should watch it now I can go to bed whenever I choose :grin:

1 Like

I remember the lovely Southern-French actress Cécile Paoli popped up in a few episodes over time of Bergerac, along with Lisa Goddard. They must have got a lot older since :slight_smile:

And almost bumped into John Nettles when we were both in our cars in Covent Garden (I drove round Central London in my cars long after most people did) and can tell you John Nettles was even more appealing in the flesh :slight_smile:

1 Like

It changes, subtly, as the various Series change…
and the added fun is identifying other roles in which we’ve seen the actors and actresses… be it from before or after whichever Bergerac series we’re consuming…

Good news, Stella…

Ah… we’ll be missing this new series as well then… as we don’t have TV nowadays :wink:

I watched The Iron Claw last night and it was quite interesting about the “cursed” Von Erich wrestling family in Texas, in fact they lived near to my family in the same county. It was a BBC backed independent documentory and starred Zac Effron as the main wrestling star.

All The Light We Cannot See on Netflix. So good. Set in St Malo during the 2nd World War and about a blind girl and a german soldier. Very evocative, lovely acting. Based on the fabulous book of the same name.

1 Like

Is that Netflix.fr ? I’ll look for it if so.

Thanks for the recommendation… have added it to my “to watch” list.

1 Like

Sorry, David, not sure if available in France. Hope so, it’s wonderful.

Currently watching Pachinko on Apple - excellent.

“Based on the New York Times bestseller, this sweeping saga chronicles the hopes and dreams of a Korean immigrant family across four generations as they leave their homeland in an indomitable quest to survive and thrive.”

It’s dubbed in English but we’re preferring the original Korean and Japanese with subtitles.

1 Like

Yep, it is. I checked so you should be good to go, @David_Spardo :+1:

1 Like

Thank you both. :smiley:

Found it, and booked it for later. I normally avoid series and concentrate on films, but will make an exception due to your recommendation @Harry , thanks again. :smiley:

2 Likes

I hope you enjoy it.

Enjoyed the book…

2 Likes

Has anyone mentioned the film Nyad?

I watched it on Netflix - good to find something worth watching among the dross.

Annette Bening (marathon swimmer) and Jodie Foster (her coach) are both brilliant - so fierce - and the story is fascinating, not least because the film shows the actual protagonists in real life.

Another series we “enjoyed” (not sure that’s the word) is “Masters of the Air” on Apple TV. Very powerful. Again, showing the actual airmen whose stories are told in the series at the end takes the production to another level, as did watching the short film “The Bloody Hundredth” about the making of the film. (I know it’s something of a Spielberg cliché to do this, but it works, or at least does for me.)

Highly recommended is this fast-paced series, exciting, beautifully made piece of science fiction on Netflix.

1 Like

Yes also recently watched Nyad - very inspirational and what a determined woman! Very trusting, swimming with that method to deter sharks😱

1 Like