Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 TV binge)

Saw Back to Black last weekend. Enjoyed it far more than I expected to. Actress pkaying Amy Winehouse was excellent and I’m surprised she’s had such negative press. Terribly sad though :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Looking forward to it being released here in France next week… My missus is hoping our local cinema shows it in VOST as she doesn’t like watching dubbed films.

ETA: just reading my last post again, I should clarify that it’s not because she can’t understand the language that she doesn’t like watching dubbed films… After all, she is French :grin:

1 Like

There are some films where it is ok, but others where I feel the actors own voice is so central that I want to see it VO. We went two towns over to watch Living with Bill Nighy as couldn’t watch him dubbed!

2 Likes

Just finished watching ‘Ripley’ on Netflix, loved every minute of it…filmed in black and white adds to the mood, highly recommend :film_projector:

1 Like

Might also add, from the sublime to the ridiculous…‘Palm Royale’ on Apple TV+ (think Valley of the Dolls meets Desperate Housewives…) pure escapism… :rofl:

Thanks David for the recommendation. It’s been around so long and I’d seen so many clips from it I had a feeling I’d seen it. In fact I hadn’t. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I love Ralph Fiennes. He plays locked in supressed emotions so well. He was great in The Constant Gardener as well.

1 Like

“The Hour” on ARTE - available free with an Amazon Firestick, also many streams on Cinema HD. First broadcast in 2011 on the BBC it is set in 1956 - “A political thriller set against real events”. Superb writing/acting with a great cast. ( Dominic West, Ben Wishaw, Romola Garai, Peter Capaldi, Anna Chancellor, Anton Lesser, Oona Chaplin, Julian Rhind-Tutt et al. ) I am enjoying it as much as I did when it was first broadcast and have of course mostly forgotten everything!

“Baby Reindeer” on Netflix. Word of mouth smash - see many articles in recent press. I was loath to watch it at first but succumbed after seeing rave reviews. It is staggering in story/script (True), acting - extraordinarily brilliant and the way it is filmed. 5* and BAFTA certainty.

It keeps cropping up on my Netflix suggestions and this morning I read that Richard Osman says it is based on a real story and that ‘everybody in the BBC knows who they are’ before pleading that people should not try to find out.

Yeah right, the hunt in full flow now I imagine as with Huw Edwards and the several people who were accused before the truth came out. :roll_eyes:

The woman it’s supposed to be about has gone public already to tell her side of the story.

I’ve not watched it yet but will get around to it eventually.

Edit: 'I'm the victim. He's written a bloody show about me': The alleged female stalker whose story has gripped the world in Netflix hit baby Reindeer tells HER side of the story and claims 'I'm being bullied for fame' | Daily Mail Online

Well, I’ve resisted, but got to watch it now. :rofl:

1 Like

Something I just watched on Netflix that is truly beautiful, from a tale by Karen Blixen. In Danish with English subtitles

Evocative follow up: watch the literature sensitively transposed into a beautiful art concept then on to film:

“Lifting the Veil: Behind the Scenes of Ehrengard” on Netflix

Re: Baby Reindeer

Almost watched it now, just a few more minutes to go but it has reminded me why I very rarely watch series, preferring films instead. It is way too bloody long and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it.

If it is true, and that is a big if, the ‘hero’ is as bad as the stalker, and the bloke he allowed to drug him and rape him on multiple occasions. I have twice been propositioned like that, by a male, and on both occasions a stern ‘No’ and a walk away was sufficient. Drugs were not involved but certainly would not have been accepted.

Finally, if a writer is so convinced that he can defend the truth of his creation, then he should name names to protect other people who might be falsely accused.

Finally got round to watching Oppenheimer. It was good but there were some things I didn’t like.

I struggled to understand the dialogue in places. Admittedly we watched it at home and not in the cinema, but we have got a fairly decent speakers plugged into the telly and I don’t usually struggle with hearing actors talking.

Secondly I thought the soundtrack was disappointing. Can’t put my finger on it, but I found it jarring and distracting.

Lastly, I didn’t understand the relevance of the black & white scenes… I mean obviously I get that it was for “Act 3” of the story, but I don’t understand why that part was filmed in B&W whereas the others were filmed in colour… especially as that took place more recently, so it didn’t signify historical stuff.

Worth watching but it didn’t quite live up to the massive hype surrounding it, and I’m unlikely to watch it again.

ETA: lol… I just googled Oppenheimer B&W scenes and read this

Unlike Nolan’s Memento, which used black-and-white and color scenes to distinguish the movement of time, Oppenheimer’s use of black-and-white and color scenes represents the shifting perspective . The Oppenheimer black-and-white scenes are objective. They are moments in history that are not influenced by opinion or emotions.

The black-and-white scenes in the film present the historical perspective of what happened to Oppenheimer after the atomic bomb was used. The scenes are less about him and more about the repercussions of the bomb, as seen by others involved in the case, rather than being presented from Oppenheimer’s point of view.

Yeah, so if that was what was what Christopher Nolan intended then I didn’t take that away from it at all :rofl:

Clarkson’s Farm is a must if you have Amazon Prime. Even if you don’t like him, its worth watching to see how farming is so difficult these days with so many rules and regulations and for watching the other characters especially Gerald. I binge watched Series 3 over the weekend it was released recently, couldn’t put it down.

Posted without comment

None possible as I’m speechless.

2 Likes

Re Baby Reindeer:
Seems as if this is about to blow into a massive legal case, according to the news this morning. There is some doubt as to whether the stalker has actually had convictions at all. Which makes me wonder, is it really about the woman who is convinced it is about her? How embarrassing if it turns out to be someone else entirely. :thinking: