Your 'Mutuelle' or top up health cover explained. Plus how you can improve it

Let’s hope it’s not as bad as you fear Graham. The anticipation of horrible events is often worse than the actual event. I send my best wishes and hope you get an “easy ride”. Take care.

2 Likes

Me too Graham, Best Wishes!
I am the ‘Worlds Worst’, couldn’t ‘escape fast enough when I had my ‘hip op’, tho’ the Staff at Redon Hospital were Marvelous :hugs:

1 Like

I will, Mandy, and thanks so much for your thoughtfulness!

Oh dear, Graham! We do feel for you, and hope very much you get the best care so that the whole business is minimus horribilibilis if not nullus ditto ditto! :blush:

Do please let us know when you’re back home, and feel up to doing so. There’s not a member of this odd hexagonal tribelet that will not be at you back as you’re on that operating trolley thingy, and holding your hand (sort of thing).:sweat_smile:

Soppy but sincere, Pete :grinning:

2 Likes

All being well Peter, that should be a week on Saturday (assuming V decides to pick me up).

1 Like

Hello

I am moving to France in December we have had a house for 7 years and we are finally going to make the break,.
We plan to manag our Gite business when we are there , can you tell me how much I need to pay ( on average for a mutuelle card.
I am not sure if this is something I need to do beofe I come out or when I get there, can you give me some advice.

thanks

Angela

1 Like

Hello @Angela_Grzywacz,
You won’t be able to get a mutuelle at first as you’d need to be in the French system first to be able to “top that up”. In the meantime (before getting accepted into the French system) you’ll probably need to apply for a “carte de séjour” which have made it mandatory for expats to have some kind of health insurance in place to be able to get the infamous “carte de long séjour”. You’re right to check on that before moving to France as it’s quite “cheap” to get covered when you’re still abroad while this would be much more expensive to find a “carte de séjour” compatible offer when already in France.

@maggi_bloice is right to have a look online but she speaks about her case of someone settled in France for a while and already “in check” with everything. In your case Angela I would strongly advise you prepare your expatriation otherwise you may end-up paying 3 times more to get the same benefits in the end :wink: Happy to assist you of course, as everyone’s case is different it’s probably best if we have a chat on the phone don’t you think? Feel free to drop me an email and I’ll happily schedule a time to call (fabien@pepite-courtage.com).

Cheers,

3 Likes

Get in touch with afore-mentioned Fabien who can discuss your needs for top-up health insurance based on your age, your health needs, and other individual considerations. Your Carte Vitale gives you access to mainstream medical services and partly re-imburses the up-front fees you will face, such as visits to your French “GP” (where you will have to hand 25 euros over the desk). But it doesn’t cover all contingencies in all cases.

Fabien is not a heavy salesman, and he takes a personal interest in his clients and those around them.

2 Likes

@Angela_Grzywacz Yes, a vote from me too to get in touch with @fabien.

2 Likes

To Fabian… I have been living in France on and off for the last 4-5 years , but the last 3 years I have settled down with my partner. I am a contractor and mostly work over the border in Switzerland. My girlfriend and I went to enquire about social benefits I.e. carte vitale and we were told that because I work in Switzerland and pay tax at source AND was a foreigner I would have to apply in Switzerland for any benefits. Do you know if this is so? Also because of the issues Brexit may bring I would like to “register” myself fully in the French system. As I mentioned I am a contractor and mostly have work but now and again there is no work and I’m left without wages so would be nice to be able to claim the chòmage for those rare times I’m out of work. Any help would be truly appreciated…Andy

Hi Andrew and Welcome to the Forum…:relaxed:

@fabien may be able to help you… I have posted the link to him… in this sentence…:relaxed:

Hi @Andy1969, I’d be happy to help but your case is a bit complex indeed. There are several options that can be considered but it depends on your perspectives for the future. Is it possible to schedule a call so we can talk about that and I’ll be able to better assess the situation? Drop me an email => fabien@pepite-courtage.com

1 Like