Your next DIY project

We use these for my 88 year old father in law.

[quote=“JaneJones, post:17, topic:43149”]

That was for large showerhead, supplementary shower , 90x160cms shower tray, chrome framed glass shower door, modern white ceramic cloak room basin and taps, suspended loo with concealed cistern. This would have been more, but there was 10% discount over €750 and I found a further discount voucher online - we got free delivery too!

2 Likes

Good idea. Brico stuff lots cheaper in UK and sadly better choice mostly still - although that is getting better here over time.

In the early years OH never came over in the car without loading it with materials.

1 Like

Don’t forget about the versatile possibilities of using beton ciré!

1 Like

You would never catch me doing that :yum:

3 Likes

Hate showers, give me an old fashioned bath everytime.
Can you read a book, do a crossword, answer the phone, have a drink, fall asleep in a shower, NO.
And before anyone says a bath uses more water I always take mine after the boss in the same water.
Warning, never use grandchildrens bath water!!

1 Like

Sadly… I can no longer enjoy soaking in the bath… as (despite all sorts of grabrails and help) I am unable to get myself out again (always supposing I have managed to lower myself down into that inviting warmth…).

However, OH has fitted a hanging-rail (high enough to not get in the way of bathers…) and it proves a handy place to drip-dry things when the weather is foul… or just to let stuff “finish” as may be necessary…
any water drips into the bath and… off and away…
Visitors can choose the bath or the shower (no laundry on display while they’re here…)

I’m the same, I only use a shower after dusty DIY, much prefer a soak in a bath :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t trust this type of handle at all.
Tried one a few years ago, and after a couple of weeks suction was lost and it came away from the wall.

Better to install this type:
Homecraft Non-Slip Grab Bar

We have that type in the toilet but they won’t work on the glass panels in a shower cabin.
If you get the right type and use glass glue on the suction cup they don’t come off, ours have been on for three years and are as solid as the day they went on.

Thanks for the tip.
I’ll try this technique as we’ve one shower cabin that I don’t use because of the lack of a handle.
Any recommendations for the glass glue?

Next project is to totally redecorate this bedroom:

Love (NOT) the £1 paper light shade and the cheap plastic garden chairs!!

1 Like

I’m fine with the light shade, though less so the garden chairs.

I have one like that (without cushions), specifically for using in the shower as and when… It’s light enough for me to handle easily … and when I (or whoever) doesn’t need it in the shower, it’s not out of place as a general sit-upon … in the humid atmosphere of the bathroom.

(OH originally fitted a proper shower-seat… but that proved not as useful as he’d hoped so he removed it…)

1 Like

The bath will go upstairs where there’s not enough headroom for a shower cubicle.

1 Like

now that has got me chuckling… I’m imagining someone approaching the bath on hands and knees… and gently slipping into the warm water… all the while carefully avoiding cracking their skull on the low ceiling… :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I used a master bong adhesive, but I had some from my work, the rubber enhanced super glue 3 should do it, just make sure the surface is super clean first, I used contact cleaner to make sure there was no oil or grease on the glass.

:wink:

The ceiling slopes steeply, and while there is sufficient room on one side, it’s not possible to fit something of conventional shape. The plan is for a bath with a shower at one end and a panel up to the ceiling.

Presently it’s offered as an ‘Italian shower’ that’s going to drain through the floor to the room below - the design is really stupid.

1 Like

Someone, somewhere must have thought it was a good idea :smile:

1 Like

Some folk do have very good ideas, on paper, but the reality can (sadly) not come up to expectations…
and whilst it might be OK for 'em to say… “you just need to watch your head”… when one stumbles to the bathroom in the middle of the night, half asleep/dozy… one isn’t necessarily in a fit state to think clearly… and “bang, crash”… the sloping ceiling gains another victim.

This has been our experience at a friend’s guest appartment… difficult to believe he actually had the place built to his own specifications and still ended up with a low, sloping ceiling slap-bang above the toilet… aaargh.