Your old posts: do you ever read them, and rate them? šŸ¤”

Now and then I get notified of a response, and, when I read the relevant comment, am surprised to realise that I donā€™t recognise myself as the author. Some date back quite a long time ago, and am a prolific poster, if not always very well informed or directly to the point. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Some of my comments seem to have been made by a stranger, although I vaguely recognise the style. Others show an admirable perspicacity and pithininess.

Am I pithy, to be pitied, or piss poor (or all three)?

Does this question strike a chord out there with anyone else (re themselves)? :hugs::grinning:

1 Like

Never look back Peter :astonished::wink:

2 Likes

So you donā€™t use your rear-view mirror, Lily, except when preparing to overtake? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes Peter, I do sometimes come across some earlier posts and think ā€œdid I write that, I mean actually write that!ā€
Sometimes I surprise myself with the wit and knowledge displayed - other times I cringeā€¦
On other occasions I duck from the imaginary swipe of a cricket bat from @Stella and @cat but these days less often [ enter ā€œnods in approval emoticon requiredā€ here).

3 Likes

no but I still retain the same

thoughts :thought_balloon:

I still believe in spite of everything I am glad to have chosen to be in France
Bergerac Airport lives on

1 Like

No Peter, lifeā€™s far too shortā€¦

life is very complex not short

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid it was for my lovely wife Barbara, 56 is far too short a life !

3 Likes

You are right, Peter, and I offer my measly sympathies, losing your wife at that age is a cruel thing, when life and love are often just coming into full bloom, and a deeper appreciation of each otherā€™s importance.

Peter

1 Like

i donā€™t look back at old posts, as i know i have made an arse of myself on far too many occasions, to want to be reminded!

i wonder just how many of us use sf for sheer companionship or how many to show off (just a bit)

how many of us are simply lonely and seeking some human contact,

facebook and similar sites donā€™t have the more friendly intimacy of sf, and it is easy to think of others here as friends - even when we fall out over something
we all need a kind word every so often donā€™t we,

(still cant type a question mark - any keyboard shortcuts anybody)

3 Likes

Frankly, the way you are typing is amazing. Well done !
Using a line-ending as punctuation works fine IMO, in fact it works so well that I hadnā€™t noticed the lack of question marksā€¦ :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:

I find this resource usefulā€¦ (click on the blue ā€œthisā€)

In the linked page, left click on the symbol with your mouse (it will say ā€œcopiedā€) and then right click mouse and paste (thus ?). Thereā€™s a whole range of useful symbols to work withā€¦
I suggest you bookmark the page in your browser for easy access/use :wink:

Read old posts - occasionally.

Rate them, hell no - far too many :slight_smile:

1 Like

My motives are mixed but there is a heavy dollop of showing off in several, and I tend to approve my own use of language. More people tell me that they enjoy it than otherwise, but thatā€™s obviously a very dodgy criterion to judge it by.

Mainly I write to help clarify my thinking which tends to sprawl and luxuriate and defy efforts to bring critique or discipline to bear. But by reading over what Iā€™ve written I can figure out undercurrents and unattended preoccupations, concerns, contradictions and conflicts, and act on the awareness thus brought to attention.

I am a very visual person (an over dominant left cortex) and a poor listener. I try to improve my listening by translating what I hear into a string of words that I can visualise at the top of my visual field, and thus ā€˜readā€™ like a teleprinter. It sometimes works well, and I use it in critical conversations with my OH and my children.

Trying to listen and respond to questions has always caused me anxiety, and I often misrepresent to my true feelings if required to do so under pressure. I generally avoid telephone conversations. Email and such social platforms/developments have been a help to me in widening my interests and my circle of friends.

I enjoy the opportunity to communicate in English with adults, native speakers who arenā€™t already in my group of friends/family, who can probably enlighten me on all sorts of topics and possibly undo a bit of confirmation bias. And make more friends, albeit virtual :grinning:

3 Likes

thanks for this graham i will play around with it aftern the ā€˜stormtroopersā€™ visits this morning! nb my affectionate name for the home nurses and physio who visit every other day!

1 Like

interesting reply peter; i too am intensely visual, but i think there has always been a bit of a showpony there as well; i loved lecturing with both large(ish) audiences and classes of around ten to twenty students; the latter loved to try and catch me out which kept me on my toes:

here i admit to looking for companionship more than anything, mainly as my deafness isolates me from so much else;

2 Likes