Your very own Internet network portal

I hope you all now what I mean when I say an Internet portal? No, well the term has been around for a very long time, and it was supposed to be the method of making money for the Internet service providers (ISP’s) in the early days of the internet. Do you remember the pages that AOL/Compuserve/Freeserve/BT used to force you too? That was until you downloaded your own browser and figured out how to change the home page settings.

It was a web page that opened whenever you connected to the internet and was full of advertising and annoying pop-ups, thus it was your portal to the internet. Things have changed and people don’t want to use a predefined portal given to them by their network supplier, but here is a nice new twist, you can create your own.

I use this all the time , and it is incredible easy to configure and set-up. It allows you to have separate tabs for all the information you want, like news feeds or sports feeds etc. The widgets work well, and allow you to have fun things on your desktop, like the cartoon strips I read everyday. It has a great way to allow you to search a wide range of search engines directly from your main page.

Anyway, give it a go and see if you find it as useful as I do.

Nick

Snap, it’s a great distro.

Can you do me a favour Steve and go and confirm the bug for me on the Chrome developers web site, here is the link. The more people who report it, the more likely we will be to get someone to take a look and fix it.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=48395

Nick

That looks really useful, you have obviously spent some time putting that together.

Nick

Ubuntu 10.04
Kernel 2.6.32-33—

Chrome 5.0.375.86 beta

Interesting, as i use it with Chromium, which is the development build of what will become Chrome. I will give it a test in a minute with Chrome and see what happens.
update - you are right, with version 5 Chrome and Linux it doesn’t work, but with version 6 Dev build it does. When I get a minute I will report it as a bug on the Chrome development site.

As an aside, which Linux are you using?

Nick

Doesn’t work my version of the Chrome browser (does with FF) and I presume IE (won’t run that as I’m on Linux).