Brexit - really?

But Hilary the UK will not be able to "pick out the best stuff and jettison the rest". How would they manage that? This isn't a buffet, EU a la carte. This is a menu. If the UK wants the main course (for example, access to the single market) they, like Norway are going to have a starter (and maybe a big dessert) rammed down their throats as well. You are falling into the same old trap of thinking the UK is very important, compared to the future of the EU it is not and that's how those in power in the EU will see it.

This isn't over yet. The deluded that voted leave will begin to realise the implications. The half arsed (a technical term) "leaders" that fooled them into voting leave will start to realise they have years of back peddling ahead of them (Farage has already started). Those that are very angry that an insignificant majority has derailed a nation's future won't take it lying down. I think this has only started.

Shirley the EU institutions aren't Belgian!! EU institutions are made up of people from ALL member states, it isn't Belgium deciding this that or the other - they are based in Brussels because it was a convenient place to be based, but they are OUR representatives and OUR citizens doing various jobs (eg my mate the translator, my other mate the lawyer, who are both British) I'm sorry but you are showing that you have swallowed the typical disinformation peddled by anti-EU folk. Yes be against the EU but be against it in possession of the facts - the business with bananas etc is simply to ensure that producers and buyers are all singing from the same hymnsheet, so that we all know what, for example, a category 1 or 2 banana is. There are banana producers within the EU so such legislation is necessary. The UK introduced metrication before 1965 although it wasn't mandatory (Parliament was discussing it in 1818 so not a new thing!!). In any case nobody has stopped the UK using imperial units, have they, they have both sets alongside each other. I'm glad life in the UK and France has shown you that different countries do things different ways, what surprises me is that it has taken living in two different countries to make that real for you. We don't have all to be the same for the EU to work, but we do have to work together. We are 500+ million people trying to create and reinforce something positive, there are obviously hiccups and regulations which sometimes seem stupid but that is how consensus works. Show me a single country or federation where 100% of the people think their administration is perfect - there's no such place. It doesn't work even within the UK, for goodness' sake!

Did you delete my map showing the parties to the Vienna Treaty? It's disappeared.

An article which mirrors my own views entirely Peter. All my (successful) career I have been accused (fairly) of not suffering fools gladly. Yet, I never dreamt I would witness such lemming like stupidity as we encountered last week.

That is precisely what you are going to be doing - " we don't want to be trying to 're-invent the wheel' " you cannot just cherrypick what you like, it isn't a sweetie shop. The present government aren't going to be relinquishing control of what? There are NO post Brexit policies in place!! The present government are also going to be working under an unelected Prime minister until 2020 when their mandate runs out and in the mean time there will be a night of the long knives the like of which I don't think the UK has ever seen. Johnson and Gove are ex-journalists, good at soundbites and peddling spin, Cameron will go down in history as the biggest fool since Lord North. Have you wondered why nobody but Nicola Sturgeon is talking about post-Brexit policy? It's because it doesn't as yet exist, nobody has a clue, there were NO contingency plans, what sort of crew of dangerous fools unleashes a shambles like that?

Another great article.

A typical Leave voter, innit :-(

Stunningly irresponsible behaviour by a bunch of egotistical spoofers. To embark on such a venture without even a strawman let alone an executable plan of how Brexit would work is criminal. Boris, Grove and Farage have't a clue what to do next. No wonder Boris wanted Cameron to stay on, but he's done a runner. Good luck with that UK.

John,

Not a good idea......Ankela Merckel ..after flinging open her arms and welcoming allcomers has realised that was a mistake and has had to retract that gesture....which proved to be irresponsible, actually encouraging the massive exodus further north, instead of containing it to the nearest safe country as is supposed to happen...

Take it from a resident Scot who voted against independence. Scotland WILL leave. Sturgeon has no choice but to ride the public will. You living in France cannot possibly appreciate the groundswell here! Every person I know with whom I have discussed this with who had previously voted to remain in the UK the exception of my 87 year old German mother (!) will now vote to leave and have stated this .

That is why there is a two year period of negotiation.....We do (as John has already explained) -and set up a 'steering commitee', composed of the new PM, the Chancellor, the rest of the enthusiastic Brexiteers, legal experts Q.C.s in the right field of UK & European Law. They would be cherry -picking in the sense of retaining good legislation made during our period spent with the EU and rooting out the rest. The assembling of the 'steering committee' and some preliminary work, needs to start now to be in place for October and the activating of the mechanism for leaving......It will be demanding because there isn't an exact precedent to follow....and I am sure they will be looking at the arrangements that other non EU European countries have with the EU.....There is no point in panicking....it will have to be sorted out, bit by bit and with a cool head and a positive attitude.....

I think "cherry picking" is very optimistic. We'll probably end up taking whatever we can get to keep trading partners and it'll probably cost just as much as EU membership did but without a voice, and with no cash backs... :-O

Not a problem for me....

I would have let them go last time....

Ah,Ma Cheri, we stayed only to spite you....

One mistake by a partner nation doesn't warrant the UK running away Hilary.

Nobody asked you last time, and neither will we this time.

"Let them go", what Little Britain (and getting littler (to coin a phrase)) arrogance. Now you're letting Europe go as well Hilary LOL. Fog on the channel and all that :-)

Give me a break :-)

Well, in the 'fullness of time' we'll find out.......

At the moment....'Nobody Knows'.....

'Running away ?'......