Brexit - what will happen to us in France?

Im puzzled why you think 27% trumps the rights of we 38%

enjoy living on the island once more. only this time you in throwing the tantrum you’ve effectivly taken a crap on your neighbours doorstep and expect them to then supply the toilet paper.

So don’t be surprised when they tell you to pull up your pants and get your own, whilst throwing the resultant pile of smelly mess back at you.

Because the 38% chose not to participate.

As for the rest of your response I regret its rather abusive nature but it really doesn’t merit a reply.

I will close this exchange as its not contributing anything useful…

2 Likes

Thank you James for emphasising this point although it does not appear to have been noted by all. I will withdraw from this post to avoid provoking more offense.

Please don’t be rude @Tim_Neal it’s not how we operate here.

http://www.survivefrance.com/t/argumentum-ad-hominem-survive-france-guidelines/11538

rude?

rude is quite different to putting someone in the picture when they simply refuse to read what is written.
especially after being very polite in putting a clear position across.
Context to the entire conversation- Please , just so you don’t accuse me of being rude.
maybe the definition needs modifying.

I find this comment of yours rude. Stop using such inflammatory language here please.

1 Like

In response to Tim Neal’s deleted post part of which I copy below

_Tim_Neal Tim_Neal _
October 11
NO Micheal you missed the entire point

38% who were denied a vote, despite being affected due to rules making us uneligable to vote.

IE We hold British Passports, live outside of the UK and didn’t get to vote as we were denied registration due the 15 year rule.

Which now they are talking about changing.

So those of us who live, work and have lives outside of the UK but within the EU & greater world are being dictated to by your valued 27%ers.

My response is as follows:

The estimated number of UK expats denied the vote by the 15 year rule is 700,000. If the same proportion registered as those who are eligible to vote (about 5% and if they had all voted to remain it would still have had no effect on the result. Even if they had all registered and voted to remain it would not have changed the result.

1 Like

To be frank, you can hardly expect to start or encourage a thread on such an inflammatory subject without getting inflammatory contributions. Both sides are more-or-less balanced in their positions and there isn’t anything to choose who is more right or wrong. Time only will tell and more excuses will no doubt then appear. Is this a grown-up forum or not?

1 Like

As someone who decided not to vote as it had no outcome on my life, making me realise I had no right to decide, I now believe the UK should invoke, let it run and see what happens, I believe that leave lied, and remain exaggerated, but the country is run by the red tops and the Murdoch empire and the uk now needs to lead the world in showing why democracy is the worst form of goverment

I agree with joe scott (I didn’t vote either, because I don’t feel that the issues that are going to affect people living in the UK are the same issues that are going to affect me living in France) - but I think that ‘democracy is the worst form of government’ is too sweeping a statement. It depends on the democrats. Unfortunately when the democrats have been brought up on a diet of tabloid press and have received an education that makes taking meeja studies and going on to work in the meeja seem aspirational, but doesn’t give them any intellectual rigour or teach them to think analytically and critically and have a mind of their own, it’s a lost cause. I actually believe that if Frexit were ever to be seriously mooted, a significant proportion of French voters would be clear-thinking enough not to fall for everything they’re told hook, line and sinker. Politicians would be challenged to justify their claims and face up to the issues that people feel are important.

2 Likes

It’s a very grown up forum @Rhys_Williams - hence the reason we don’t tolerate rudeness. If posters want to get personal rather than engage in a constructive debate, there are plenty of other places they can go and do that!

I certainly wasn’t advocating rudeness, just thinking that we all reap what we sow!

2 Likes

We do indeed. The Marmite wars being a prime example! X

I know of a couple part brit part NZ who have bought a house in charente and renovated it. They have not burnt their bridges and own a place too in NZ. Six months here and 6 months there. But it is visa based for the NZ partner. Shortly the same for him.
Houses start from 15000 €. They are cheap. I can recommend some agents in charente and haute Vienne . Centre of France

1 Like

Well said, Diana…!

well it begins, a friend has just phoned to get her S1 refusal to start the process of joining the health service here in France only to be told, that the UK is no longer issuing either S1 or S1 refusals for early retires moving to France.

1 Like

I’ve just replied to someone else who mentioned the same thing. It works the opposite way round now so that you supply some info to CPAM and they then send that info to HMRC or DWP to confirm that you’re not entitled to an S1. It doesn’t affect your ability to join PUMA. Someone on here will know far more than me so I’m sure you’ll get a more in depth reply.

We too are UK born and Aussie raised/worked and have the two passports. Here thanks to our UK ones. But we have only been here a year. We are wondering what hoops we will have to jump through in order to stay. Sigh, I am so cross with UK.

1 Like

I am one of those miserable s**ts you describe and notice incidentally you’re not abiding by community guidelines with that comment. I voted leave after a lot of research of which I learnt among other things that joining the EU in the first place was an act of treason by Heath and Major by surrendering British sovereignty to a foreign power.
'This is a surrender of our Sovereignty a clear Act of Treason under the 1351 Treason Act and a Praemunire, under the 1392 Act of Praemunire, it is Treason under the 1559 Act of Supremacy and the 1688/9 Declaration and Bill of Rights.It is a Praemunire to subject Her Majesty’s Courts of law to the domination of a foreign court outside of Her Majesty’s control.

I live in France and have done since 2003 and apart from some stupid EU laws which even the French hate and often dismiss I am quite happy here. Unfortunately France is on a downward spiral especially with the merging of departments which will affect us all financially but that aside I and obviously many others are not prepared to be walked all over by Brussels any longer. As for soft Brexit, those who prefer a single market result, answer me this. How is the single market any benefit to UK? UK imports more from EU than it exports yet UK is the second largest financial contributor. Go into any supermarket here you will find produce from USA, Israel, Brazil and other S American countries in addition to produce from other EU countries except United Kingdom. No produce from UK! Why?

4 Likes

Thanks James, I hope a certain offensive poster follows that link.

1 Like